Tractor
    international 404

Default rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404

I had my generator rebuilt because I thought it was not working after I got it back from the mechanics...He was supposed to get it running right and fix anything that needed fixing..when I went to polarize the generator,,,I noticed the BAT wire was coiled up behind the voltage regulator,,,i hooked it up to the starter and jumped the BAT and GEN terminals, tractor started and running good but I noticed my leg burning after awhile and looked down to find acid coming out of top of battery,,,battery is new..what did I do wrong??? Julie

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 4

Sounds like you have purchased a top notch, good quality generator here.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Tractor
    international 404

Default Re: rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 4

that was helpful

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Nothing like battery acid running down my leg to restore my confidence in my generator. Please guide me from here. I would consider your advice quite refreshing.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Sounds like a bad regulator (or wired wrong) allowing the generator to over charge the battery.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    international 404

Thank you...thats kinda what I was thinking too...now if I can figure out how to tell which it is

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

need a multimeter

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70

its probably overcharging the battery... use a multimeter to measure the battery voltage while it is running.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    wheel horse c-100

if the battery over heated most likely the generator is working as need be. the regulator is not allowing the generator to cycle on and off which means the generator will run as high a voltage it can unitil the weakest part in the system quits or burns up. there is parts dist in your city called enis products teh owner is paul robie his number is 903-872-2118 he should have the correct regulator in stock and can give you some advice on hooking it up if needed. keep this in mind a generator has only three major parts that creates power field coils armature and brushes you may have burnt up one or more of these parts paul can also help you in this area also. good luck

Tractor
    2740 Montana;3414 IH;TD-14 IH

Not sure about your IH 404, but the contact points in my IH 3414 voltage regulator stick from time to time. A good tap with a screwdriver handle on the regulator cover seems to cure this. Watch the amp. gauge if you have one. If it's pegged out to the high side, that's probably what it is. Seems to happen worse in the damp weather, which we have lots of here...Dan.
    2740 Montana 3414 IH loader/backhoe TD-14 IH dozer/drum B27-2B Yanmar Mini-Exc.