John Deere 5310 cold weather issue

/ John Deere 5310 cold weather issue #1  

nightingalefarm

Tractor
John Deere 5310
I have a John Deere 5310. I have found that in weather that is below 15 degrees C when I turn the key the engine starts. When I let off on the key the engine quits. It will not start again until the key is turned back to off and then to start. In colder weather this has to be repeated up to 8 to 10 times until the engine starts and stays running. Any suggestions on what this could be? I do have the repair manual for the tractor but have been unable to troubleshoot successfully so far?

/ John Deere 5310 cold weather issue #2  
Have you checked that the run solenoid at the fuel injection pump stays in the run position?

/ John Deere 5310 cold weather issue
Yes I have tested the solenoid and yes it is working properly.

/ John Deere 5310 cold weather issue #4  
Diesel engines are shut off by a fuel cut off. Older tractors have a manual cutoff cable attached to the injection pump and the newer machines have a normally closed solenoid valve that is opened with the key switch when it's in the START and RUN positions.

From your decription, you have some sort of intermittent problem with the circuit to the solenoid. Find a wiring diagram and see what's in that fuel cutoff circuit. Maybe you have a relay that's faulty,etc. Most of the safety interlocks are in the starter circuit so so I don't suspect that to be the problem, but then I'm not familiar with your particular machine.

It's also possible that if your machine has glow plugs for cold starting or electronically controled fuel enrichment, etc , and an element in that circuit has failed or is turning off too quickly, causing the engine to die. After 8-10 starts the engine then has the ability to run unassisted.
Look in your manual for cold starting devices, etc in the fuel system section. Also read your operators manual.It sometimes explains special procedures for starting in cold weather.

/ John Deere 5310 cold weather issue #5  
I would say that your problem is the fuel shut-off relay. If you take the left side panel off in front of the instrument cluster, there are 4 electrical boxes. Starting from the front to the back, diode, bypass start relay, fuel-shut off relay (LVA13729 $12.23) and accessory relay. Before you disconnect anything I suggest you remove the cable from the negative side of the battery.

Next time this happens before you turn the key off with a volt meter, see if you have power to the fuel solenoid, if not then it is the relay. If you do have power another thing to try is as soon as it starts, (I am guessing you already know this) push the key in to activate the intake heater. Also is there any difference if you hold the key in longer before starting?

Here is an online version of the operators manual, if you do not already have it.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/