Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #1  

bigtalker

Embarresed to admit it but I broke a bolt off trying to get the water pump off the Yanmar engine in my JD Gator. I then broke an easy out off in the bolt. Tried to drill it out but must be made out of hardened steel. Are there drill bits that will cut hardened steel or any other ideas. Thanks. Greg B

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #2  
There are titanium drill bits out there that should take care of it.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #3  
Your best bet is to get someone with an oxy/acetylene torch to build up the end of the frozen bolt (and broken off easy-out). Someone with average or better skill with a torch should be able to do this without welding the bolt to the block (heat to the bolt won't easily transfer to the block, which makes it easy to build up the bolt without melting the block). After the welder has extended the bolt, use vise-grips to grab the bolt and gently twist it back and forth until it is loosened. The extreme heat should make even stubborn bolts loosen up.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #4  
Just a week ago I had a similar problem. I was rethreading a hole and I broke the tap off about an inch down the hole. The solution, after numerous failed alternatives, was to smash the die into tiny pieces inside the hole and blow the bits out with air. Thread cutting taps and drill bits are extremely hard but brittle, so its not as difficult as it sounds. It took about 45 minutes of banging to get it all out. I used a hinge bolt from an old door hinge to make a cold chisel.

It might be something you could consider depending on the depth and style of the easy-out.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #5  
Dont know how big your toy box is but here is a very helpful video on the subject from welding tips and tricks.

"In this video, I was working on another project when someone walked in with this exhaust manifold with a broken stud. It had already been drilled and had an ez out stuck in it." How to Remove a Broken Bolt

I have used this method and it works well.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #6  
Can you TIG weld?.. TIG is the best way to control the heat to build up the broken extractor. When you get the nub built up then lay down a nut over the nub, and fill in with weld material..When finished just take a socket and unscrew it. Oxy Ace would work too, but the Heat Affected Zone is larger, and requires more skill. If you have a DC stick welder, you can get a 17V torch and scratch start TIG pretty cheap. I realize you are not going out and buy a TIG setup for this one thing, but it is a good thing to have anyway.

How to Remove a Broken Bolt - Exhuast Manifold Stud Removal - YouTube

James K0UA

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #7  
If you have access to small carbide rounds, make yourself a spade bit. It will work perfectly running right hand, and after building some heat, MIGHT back the extractor out. Just peck at it often to let the chips out.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #8  
Own a trailer? Borrow a trailer? Rent a trailer. Drive onto trailer and take to a machine/welding shop. Back home with bolt out shortly. Starting and driving the Gator for a few minutes withoiut water or the water pump will not harm the engine. THE KEY HERE IS A FEW MINUTES, not for a prolonged length of time.

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #9  
If the head of the bolt is off and the pump isn't threaded you might be able to remove the pump first which might leave some of the broken easy out exposed for removal with a vice grips. I have done this several time on old rusty Illinois cars, and come to the conclusion that they are never "easy" and only sometimes "out". :)

/ Broke Easy Out Off in Broken Bolt. What To Do. #10  
Dont know how big your toy box is but here is a very helpful video on the subject from welding tips and tricks.

"In this video, I was working on another project when someone walked in with this exhaust manifold with a broken stud. It had already been drilled and had an ez out stuck in it." How to Remove a Broken Bolt

I have used this method and it works well.

Hey you watch too many welding videos:) Notice I was right behind you with the same advice.:)

James K0UA