Deere 5425 hand throttle problems

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #1  

BigJim

Tractor
JD 5425
I went to do some mowing yesterday, but as I tried to rev up to 2400rpm using the hand throttle I discovered that I could only get to about 1800rpm with the hand throttle as far forward as it would go. It still idles correctly, and the foot throttle will rev it up to full speed, but the hand throttle will not. My manuals have not been helpful. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thanks!

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #2  
Where the handle rod goes down toward the engine, try spraying a little WD-40 or something like that. Mine stuck as well---5520--and it was an easy fix.

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems
I'll give that a try. It's weird because as I move the hand throttle forward, it acts like it hits a "stop" that isn't really there; in other words, it seems like you just can't push it far enough forward and that's why you can't get above about 1800rpm.

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #4  
Do You have ePTO? When in ePTO thottle is limited to about 1700-1800rpm.

I do have ePTO, but it was off. Also should mention that this is a cab model.

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #6  
I didn't realize yours was a cab model. On the open station, as I have, the hand throttle is friction controlled and can stick. The cab model, I believe is a cable so it either has to be a cable restriction issue or the E-PTO thing mentioned earlier. Maybe call the guys at a Deere shop and ask if they have seen this before or just sniff around until you rule things out.

Yea, it's a cable alright and the manual isn't helpful in figuring it out. Where it attaches to the injector, things get complicated. There are two "wires" (more or less), one of which is that ePTO thing and it has a couple of set nuts on it. The manual sort of describes how to set the ePTO rpm, but the pictures are poor and the directions aren't much better. But as far as the main throttle cable goes, the manual says absolutely nothing. I can manually move the throttle lever on the fuel injector and the rpm indeed goes up, but I can't figure out why the hand throttle won't move it in this way.

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #8  
no help beyond, there should be adjustment nuts.

some times cable ties errr ends of cables get loose or break. and do not let the cable in the sleeve work like they are suppose to.

/ Deere 5425 hand throttle problems #9  
If you sign up to JD parts online you can look at a parts list and diagrams that are really pretty good. Maybe do the background knowlege and then call a Deere shop to see if they have any idea. If you look at the schematics online it should be helpful.

I'm posting a follow-up to this just in case anyone ever runs into this issue in the future and wants the answer. As it turned out, this was an operator stupidity problem. The issue was that the E-PTO lever was left in the E position, but the main PTO had been turned off. I have no idea why I didn't notice this right away, but I wasn't the one who left it that way. All I had to do to cure the problem was return the E-PTO lever to the non-E position and then everything worked just fine, exactly like it should.