John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #1  

Mr Chris

Tractor
John Deere 40 and John deere 2040
Hello All,
I have an unusual hydraulic problem. For years I have been unable to figure it out. The problem is on a 1980 John Deere 2040. What happens is I go to the field in the morning and start to mow. I run a 9' New idea moditioner. It runs good and the pto comes on strong as one could imagine. If I run all day it will continue to work without fail. Occasionaly as you would expect I have a plug up and have to shut off the pto to clear it. When I do this often the PTO will not come back on?? If it sits overnight it comes on just as strong the next day. Like I said if it plugs it will burn out the mower clutch it has so much power. So I know there is no slippage. I have rebuilt the PTO Spool, replaced all the pressure regulator springs and valve in the shift cover, replaced the surge valve the bypass valve etc. The previous owner replaced the internal transmission hydraulic pump. The wacky thing is I have put a Gauge on the test port of the cover and get the right psi with the pto engaged. If I leave that tester on and mow the psi doesn't change while running. Once I dis-engage the PTO the pressure drops off to low and the PTO is not going to engage no matter what I do. If as I said I let it sit over night the pressure comes right back the next day and is there all day unless I shut it off again. Occasionaly I have gotten it to come on by driving it in circles over some bumpy patch of field??? Is it possible that it's getting some sort of air lock??? Or is there something that may prevent hydraulic fluid from returning to the rear end?? This will also effect my breaks. The loader stays strong but the bucket will pause on the dump motion. Steering works as well. I should point out I had to rebuild the streering and I don't know where those little white O rings went. I found what I think was all the pieces in the screen. Is it possible the vent valve on top of the resivoir could do it??? I am obviously at a loss. I have been using it in this unreliable reliable way for seven years. None of the John deere mechanics in my area have a clue as to why?? Anyone ever run into such a strang issue?? Thanks Chris

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #2  
I wonder if there are bad o-rings on the steel lines in the trans. Either to the valve or from the valve to the PTO clutch that leak when it warms up.

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness
You know I thought of this the first year. They have been replaced at least on the transmission cover side. I did not break the tractor in half. That is what I am going to do this fall when I get it home from the field. Also the reason for my being here. I've never broke it in half so I didn't know if there was anything I might want to be sure and check. Still this year it didn't work when cold?? I drove it around and wham it came one???? It seems like something inside might be blocking the fluid from getting to the pick up screen???? Does anyone know what it looks like in there and is that possible?? Thanks by the way for your responce Zebrafive. Interesting name by the way.
Mr Chris

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #4  
Look on JDparts.com, you can find parts drawings. I would start with the trans filter and screen before splitting the tractor

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #5  
Hydraulic mysteries sometimes are so odd to uncover the real problem. Sounds like you have been delving into this,for some time now.
What about the possibility that the pressure relief valve is fine once you 'kick in' the pto,when the tractor is relatively cool. Then after hearted up for a few hours,and shut off pto,then re-start pto the pressure relief valve is now 'swelled up' enough that it will not reseat as it should and even though your hydraulic pump is ok,,this vavle is simply letting the pto pressure blow by. Once cooled down the pressure valve is shrunk up,,once again,,and is seating against the port (from the spring pressue,which you replaced) as expected? This sounds like a long shot ,even to me,but does make some sense. This even makes a bit of sense if you drive around on bumpy ground the relief planger may get jerked around enough to 'reseat itself" as expected, and thus your pto is kicking in once again.
As long as you haven't actually replaced any of the valve body 'plunger' piece(s) I would think this is almost a null . I know you DID say you replaced the relief vavle spring(s) though.?

BC

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #7  
Yes the pre 1980 2040 has 2 open center hyd pumps one for power steering and the other for lifts such as 3 pt hitch & FEL.

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #8  
Yes the pre 1980 2040 has 2 open center hyd pumps one for power steering and the other for lifts such as 3 pt hitch & FEL.

Are you sure???
Not a trans pump feeding PTO clutch and main pump?

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #9  
HYDRAULIC PUMP - MODEL CA1 (CLOSED CENTER)
23 CM3 (1.38 IN.3)
US built model 2040's after SERIAL NO. 266750 use the closed center front pump and hydraulic system.

Those little bits of o'ring could be jamming valves.
I wonder if the transmission divert valve at the trans filter is jamming into the "plugged filter" position?
Is there a high/low shift on that tractor?
Serial # ?

How are the loader hydrualics connected to the tractor?

/ John Deere 2040 hydraulic weirdness #10  
HYDRAULIC PUMP - MODEL CA1 (CLOSED CENTER)
23 CM3 (1.38 IN.3)
US built model 2040's after SERIAL NO. 266750 use the closed center front pump and hydraulic system.

Those little bits of o'ring could be jamming valves.
I wonder if the transmission divert valve at the trans filter is jamming into the "plugged filter" position?
Is there a high/low shift on that tractor?
Serial # ?

How are the loader hydrualics connected to the tractor?

IIRC no 2040 built for N American sales had the option of hyd hi-lo. The same tractors below SN 266750 were open center hyd's.