Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering...

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering... #1  

amazingfacts

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my TO30 to run smooth. Sometimes it hesitates and sputters and sometimes it runs fine. I've tried the following: sediment bowl cleaning, drained fuel from the carb drain plug, cleaned spark plug/dist contacts, etc but the issues still exist. I've also tried adjusting the main jet on the carb...starting from 1.5 turns out and turning in until the hesitation disappeared but that only lasted a week before the hesitation and sputtering came back. I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs, dist cap/rotor, fuel filter, new air filter element and cleaning out the fuel tank. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering... #2  
It sounds like a carburetor problem to me, probably due to dirty jets or a clogged fuel inlet screen. Carburetor overhaul kits are relatively cheap, so a carburetor overhaul might be a good idea. Unless I'm mistaken, the TO-30 has the Marvel Schebler TSX458 carburetor, but you can confirm this by looking for a brass tag riveted to the upper half of the carburetor body with a TSX prefix before some numbers.

The following is a picture of my Massey 135 tractor's Marvel Schebler TSX882 carburetor (very similar to the TO-30 carburetor) after it was disassembled.

2crkbhi.jpg

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering...
Thanks for the reply MasseyWV. What does the carb overhaul consist of?

Thanks tmajor! I'll try this out and let you know of the results.

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering... #6  
Thanks for the reply MasseyWV. What does the carb overhaul consist of?

I bought the major carburetor overhaul kit which has almost everything except the float, but you can also buy a basic carburetor overhaul kit which only has gaskets, o-rings, etc...

Ok great thanks...I'll check.

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering... #8  
Since adjusting the main jet seemed to cure the problem, it would appear from your post that you have contaminated fuel (either dirt or water or both) or a dirty carburetor.

Most of the TO- Ferguson's have broken baffles in the fuel tank that can scrape around and stir up dirt and debris from the tank and the sediment bowl will get the larger pieces but the finer stuff can make it to the carb and clog the smaller passages.
The root cause fix woud be to remove the broken baffle (I have one on my TO-30) but it's a tough job that would require cutting open the top of the tank and then welding it back.

My solution has been to use an in line filter just downstream of the sediment bowl to protect the carb. I have used a Fram autmotive fuel filter(G-1?) and a lawn mower fuel filter with equal sucess. Since your carb is probably contaminated I'd consider rebuilding it with a carb kit. Your carb should be a Marvel-Schebler TSX 458 (though some models have a Carter carburetor) and the kits are readily available. the key to the rebuild is a throrough cleaning of the carb and all the metering passages. This will require a gallon of carb cleaning solution and the carb has to be disassembled and soaked for a minimum of 24 hours in the solution. All the passages should be blown clear and checked to make sure any obstructions are removed. Play particular attention to the transition passge (just above the idle passage and above the closed throttle plate).

Unless you have a problem with a weak spark,(reguisite spark is FAT AND BLUISH-WHITE, the color of lighning) then I wouldn't throw parts at the ignition system.

The carb is a pressure balanced design so a clogged airfilter will only limit WOT throttle power and the filter medium is not replaceable. You can soak the entire airfilter in a 5 gallon bucket of diesel or gas and let it sit overnight, remove the filter, decant off the dirt from the solvent and repeat for 3-5 days and the filter will come clean. Use SAE 30HD oil in the air filter oil cup and you'll be good to go.

Ok great thanks for your feedback Jerry. Much appreciated.

/ Ferguson TO30 - Hesitation and sputtering... #10  
Just thought I"d mention that a loose carb,even though you might not know it's loose,can cause these on again,off again,symptoms. I've seen it happen where the carb base was loose,and where a 2-piece carb body got loose screws holding it together or bad gasket leaking in air.
don-ohio :)^)