Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable?

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #1  

amazingfacts

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I just ran over a log and the pipe into the exhaust manifold broke off. :( It's rather a clean break and I'm wondering what material the exhaust manifold is on a Ferguson TO30. Cast iron? Can it be welded back? Thanks!

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #2  
Can be welded, but you have to know what you are doing. the other thing is warp, and on a manifold I would think it would be hard to get right.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #3  
My MF 250 broke the same way; brazed it back together, worked great.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable?
Ok great thanks for your input Ed.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #6  
I am no expert but just welded together a cast shop floor drill press base that was broken clean in two...
I heated it and let it cool slowly over several days using charcoal as the heat source and sand as the insulation...
If you can heat it and let it cool slowly after welding you can be successful...
If I can do it anyone can...
I used a Hobart cast iron rod set @ 75 Amps...

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #7  
My MF 250 broke the same way; brazed it back together, worked great.

I had that done on my 1962 Rambler American car (cast iron). It held for awhile then broke again in the same place. I sometimes wondered if the break was due to exhaust pipe header and/or muffler not being aligned quite right so that vibration or stress was causing the break. Probably brazing can be done better these days.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #8  
You said the pipe going into the manifold broke off, if that is the case, just go to a muffler shop and have them make you a new exhaust pipe. The pipe is just carbon steel from the manifold down. You could even just braze the broken one back together if you can get it clean enough. In an old tractor like that, I would suspect that the 2 nuts holding the manifold to pipe connection is likely rusted together and would twist off rather than unscrew. I would just cut the nuts off the manifold bolt and put new brass nuts on when installing the new pipe.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #9  
Dad a Massey Ferguson 135 gas with the same problem. Used to make my late evening plowing exciting to flame shooting out in the dark. My advice is get it fixed correctly or replace the manifold. One of cousins that used with out asking, learned us all the problems of a leaky gas cap, completely filled tank and flame shooting tractor.

I loved the tractor, I named it Maggie because I was to young to understand what brand was. Completely off subject but brought fond memory of days go by.

/ Broken Exhaust Manifold...weldable? #10  
Dad a Massey Ferguson 135 gas with the same problem. Used to make my late evening plowing exciting to flame shooting out in the dark. My advice is get it fixed correctly or replace the manifold. One of cousins that used with out asking, learned us all the problems of a leaky gas cap, completely filled tank and flame shooting tractor.

I loved the tractor, I named it Maggie because I was to young to understand what brand was. Completely off subject but brought fond memory of days go by.