how can northern tools compete against harbr freight?

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight?
Before the internet Northern was a good place to find things like trailer parts. Just flip through the catalog and get ideas. Now they are just expensive. It's rare that they will have something that can't be found cheaper elsewhere. It's kind of nice having name brand next to Chinese but not worth paying more for. I have gotten stuff from them that I couldn't find elsewhere. If there was a store close by I probably would shop there selectively.

nowadays.. the name brand is chinese, made at the same plant as the generic.....

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #12  
Still can find good quality America made equipment and tools if u try.

Buy American when u can...

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #13  
nowadays.. the name brand is chinese, made at the same plant as the generic.....

I haven't gotten a catalog from them in a number of years but they use to put in the description "USA" if it was made in the US. Everything else just didn't say where it came from.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #15  
some of their gas engine stuiff is starting to look VERY god!

I'm still afraid to buy a gas engine from them but a refreshment truck that I see at auctions has had one for maybe a year now and it runs all the time he's there and hasn't quit yet. My guess is they aren't big on maintenance but it just purrs along and it looks well-used.

Northern tool sells the same Junk as HF. You nget what you pay for. The better catalogs etc add to the added expensise of NT that's why the prices are higher. JMOP.

With Northern Tool I also think they have to pay a salesman a commission on phone order. I was asking questions about a small purchase item when the very aggressive fellow with a heavy NY/NJ back-east accent told me the commission thing and then hung up on me. I just started with the small item first. That's OK, I just never called back.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #16  
Before the internet Northern was a good place to find things like trailer parts. Just flip through the catalog and get ideas. Now they are just expensive. It's rare that they will have something that can't be found cheaper elsewhere. It's kind of nice having name brand next to Chinese but not worth paying more for. I have gotten stuff from them that I couldn't find elsewhere. If there was a store close by I probably would shop there selectively.

Pretty much exactally my thoughts. They used to be good before the internet was sooo big. Nice catalogs and reasonabally priced. But now a days, 99% of the stuff they sell can be had cheaper elsewhere. And since I dont have a NT around, and its all the internet to me, I'd rather get the exact same thing elsewhere for less money.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #17  
crazyal said:
I haven't gotten a catalog from them in a number of years but they use to put in the description "USA" if it was made in the US. Everything else just didn't say where it came from.

They do on their website!

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #18  
some of their gas engine stuiff is starting to look VERY god!

A few months ago I replaced the worn out Tecumseh 14 hp engine on my Bolens 1453 garden tractor with the 420 cc OHV Predator engine certified for California. Paid $350. It's a clone of an equivalent Honda engine. Has both pull and electric starter. Starts fast. Works fine. Just welded up an adapter to fit the Predator to the Bolens frame. No sweat.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #19  
I have also noticed that the HF tools are getting better (they still sell a lot of crap). The price difference between HF and US or Euro tools is so great that for a handyman as opposed to a pro, the HF stuff is good value even if less well fabricated and might only last a few jobs. The designs are almost all virtual copies of industry standards (eg the Predator engines are truly Honda clones, the metal working tools are all clones too) and their construction quality is improving. I just shelled out >$150 for a set of 12v lithium Bosch hammer drill and drill/driver and then saw last week that HF has their own version for about $50. I like the Bosch very much but would be hard pressed to justify the 3X cost for a set of tools I use only to complete "honey do" tasks around the house. Several years ago I bought a Fein orbital multitool for $400 that is still a much better tool than the HF version but the HF version works (I have one) and only cost me $17! I recently bought some HF "super glue" for about a third the price of the Loctite version at HF too. The generic devices/supplies are of sufficient quality and value that I just don't really find that much to complain about given the price I pay. I'm sure I would feel very differently if I made my living with the tools.

In general what I find is that 1) there is no equivalent US store that handles the range of hardware carried by HF so it is convenient to shop there, 2) I can afford to buy tools that I could not justify or afford if I limited myself to US/Euro brands, 3) 20% discount coupons that I carry in my wallet, I only buy stuff that is on sale at HF or use a 20% coupon.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #20  
Still can find good quality America made equipment and tools if u try.

Buy American when u can...

Who cares ?

I care because I would rather buy American made products. But it is getting so hard to find items made in this country, shame!

Last edited: