how can northern tools compete against harbr freight?

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #31  
crazyal said:
I'm guessing HF also buy in much larger volume than NH from the Chinese. But HF prices are not as good as they once were. Something are priced very cheap while others are not.

Remember it is the marketing guys at HF who specify what quality tools they have made. The Chinese can build superb tools and they certainly have mastered cheap crap. HF chooses the price point and from my experience they are slightly increasing both cost and quality over the past year or so.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #32  
I was at HF a week ago or so and I almost fell over, There was air compressor hose made in china and there was also air conpressor hose made by goodyear. I just couldn't beleive it and the price between the two really wasn't enough to worry about, too bad I didn't need any air hose! :)

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight?
I'm still afraid to buy a gas engine from them but a refreshment truck that I see at auctions has had one for maybe a year now and it runs all the time he's there and hasn't quit yet. My guess is they aren't big on maintenance but it just purrs along and it looks well-used.

when i was in line a guy was buying 2 predator engines ahead of me. he had another being used in 'something' .. I was trying not to listen to his business at first.. but then I asked him about them. he replaced 2 hondas.. with the predators at half the cost.. he's had good luck apparrently. they 'looked' good anyway...

i agree.. if I'm faced with using a 100$ chinesetool kit to repair my tractor, or NOT afford the 400$ american tool kit.. well.. I NEED my tractor.. so cheap kit it is...

Agreed.

If I was a millionaire (which I am not), I would probabally buy american made stuff just because I can.

The difference for me however, when we are talking about that much of a price spread, And I just cannot afford the american version(wether good quality or not) is to either own the cheap china too or NOTHING at all. THAT makes the difference to most of us. The fact that we would rather have a garage full of cheap disposable china stuff vs nothing at all.

I was at HF a week ago or so and I almost fell over, There was air compressor hose made in china and there was also air conpressor hose made by goodyear. I just couldn't beleive it and the price between the two really wasn't enough to worry about, too bad I didn't need any air hose! :)

our HF actually has quite a few 'brand' names there.. some dewalt even.

I take it they may be bulk buys.. or overstocks maybee.

have seen the goodyear hose too.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #36  
our HF actually has quite a few 'brand' names there.. some dewalt even.

I take it they may be bulk buys.. or overstocks maybee.

have seen the goodyear hose too.

Speaking of name-brand stuff....

Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes they carry norton abrasive disks for angle grinders and chop-saws and stuff. I am not sure where they are made, but IMO they are good quality. The 4-1/2" disks dont wear down as fast as the truly cheap ones.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #37  
   / how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #38  
I used to shop at Northern when it was on my "travel way", and like to browse their stores. Especially when I can score on their special markdowns. I got a brand new (not even a demo) 35CC Efco saw (similar to what John Deere rebranded before they picked up Stihl). List price on the tag was $219, they had marked it down to $200, then were discontinuing the line. That dropped it to $100. Then they had a managers sale going on for 50% off $100 or less. I got it for $50+tax on $50, they threw in two new chains.

My general rule for HF is I buy "loaner" tools there.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #39  
I would be ashamed of myself if I bought anything at HF. Good companies invest millions of dollars on good products like Honda engines then the Chinese flat out copy the designs and Americans import it and Americans buy it. Unbelievable. I shop eBay and craigslist like crazy to get good used stuff cheap rather than patronize the disgusting knock off industry. I would rather put money in the pockets of good people that are making some spare cash than buy something at HF.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #40  
Lets go with a set of 13 deep 1/2" drive SAE impact sockets.
Napa wants $73 for the set (no warranty): NAPA AUTO PARTS
Harbor Freight wants $22 for the set (lifetime warranty): 13 Piece 1/2" Drive SAE Deep Wall Impact Socket Set

Aaron Z

I needed impact sockets last winter and searched it thoroughly. I discovered the HF, Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon ones were all strikingly similar and maybe identical. I bought the HF set for $15 on a sale with a coupon and have beat them pretty good. Zero problems. Why buy a NAPA import set for $75? HF wins the debate.