John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #1  

Soyboy

Tractor
JD2030, Farmall A, Mahindra 2630
I have a 1974(or so) John Deere 2030 tractor and last fall As I was using a pull behind brush hog, I lost the hydraulics on the remote cylinder on the brush hog. As I was bringing the tractor back to the barn I started to lose the hydraulics on the front end loader and the three point hitch. I parked the tractor for the winter and have made occasional attempts at fixing it since then. As it stands (or sits), I can not get any movement from any hydraulic accessory(front end loader, three point hitch etc.) I have replaced the transmission filter, cleaned the uptake screen(it had some sediment with a small amount of metal filings) and refilled the transmission case with @ 6 gallons of hydraulic fluid. The manual says it should take 10-12 gallons but the dipstick is reading overfull.I understand that there is a front hydraulic pump as well as a gear pump inside the clutch housing that pumps fluid to the front pump.
To get to this gear pump you need to pull the engine (beyond my tool and skill level). Does this pump run off of a PTO shaft or Drive Shaft.? I don't seem to be able to get the rear (or front) PTO shaft to turn. Is this a cause or effect of the Hydraulic problem or unrelated? The tractor sat for @4 years before last spring (2011) but I got it running and used it all last summer and into the fall. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #2  
The trans pump is driven at engine speed. Depends on type of PTO you have how it is driven, either from the power shaft or clutch shaft. You have to split the tractor to get to this pump.
Is your PTO engaged by the foot clutch or a lever between the shifters? If a lever between the shifters you have a hydraulic PTO clutch. Which is what I suspect you have since your PTO does not work. If a foot clutch its just mechanical.

There is a front pump, it's feed by the trans pump as you mentioned. It's driven by the engine crankshaft. Check to see if it's turning. Sheared key? If it's not turning.

Other possible causes, trans filter bypass valve hung up and not letting oil get to the trans pump. Stroke control valve on front pump malfunctioning.

When you checked the trans oil did you rest the stick on the tube, not screwed in? Check with engine runniong?

What trans do you have? the STD 4spd with two ranges? HI-LO? Reverser?

MY GUESS is you have the hydraulic PTO clutch and a broken internal line. My 2030 with a hydraulic PTO (lever between the shifters) had the line (engage) from the valve to the PTO clutch break and all flow from the trans pump was just going back to the trans case (sump) and all my hydraulics quit. I had to split the tractor to repair. The replacement line was heavier than the original. I also should have replaced the other PTO clutch (disengage) line while I had the tractor split. Hindsight is 20/20.

If you have the Hydraulic PTO clutch (lever between the shifters) see if disengaging the PTO effects your other hydraulics.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #3  
Hey guys,
First post here.

I came across this problem while researching a disturbingly similar problem.

I have a 2030 with reverser. 4 spd. Pto switch not between levers.

I was clearing snow with my grader blade and front loader. Started losing hydraulics all around. This was in the middle of the big snow last week so couldn't get to dealer to get hydraulic filter.

I seemed to have air in the hydraulic fluid. So I drained it, cleaned the screen and blew out the filter as best I could. (dealer was closed).

Refilled with new fluid. Hydraulics still didn't work well at all. Was barely moving the front loader. When I checked the dipstick, it was foaming like crazy. I have since picked up a new filter, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Once it drys up a bit, I'm going to replace the filter. But could a clogged filter cause it foam up like that? Or the valve that was mentioned above?

Thanks for any help guys. It is much appreciated.

-Jim

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #4  
Have you tried hyd operation in both forward & reverse. Foaming usually indicates a leak in the trans pump suction side.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #5  
I have not. I will give that a try.

Thanks for the response.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #6  
Could the foaming be the filter bypass? Just a wild guess.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #7  
Hey guys,
First post here.

I came across this problem while researching a disturbingly similar problem.

I have a 2030 with reverser. 4 spd. Pto switch not between levers.

I was clearing snow with my grader blade and front loader. Started losing hydraulics all around. This was in the middle of the big snow last week so couldn't get to dealer to get hydraulic filter.

I seemed to have air in the hydraulic fluid. So I drained it, cleaned the screen and blew out the filter as best I could. (dealer was closed).

Refilled with new fluid. Hydraulics still didn't work well at all. Was barely moving the front loader. When I checked the dipstick, it was foaming like crazy. I have since picked up a new filter, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Once it drys up a bit, I'm going to replace the filter. But could a clogged filter cause it foam up like that? Or the valve that was mentioned above?

Thanks for any help guys. It is much appreciated.

-Jim

There is leak back to the sump inside the transmission. Either from the low pressure transmission pump system. Or from a failed rockshaft piston seal . Look in the oil filler while the engine is running and the rockshaft raised to look for foam or spraying.
An ignored transmission filter that is partly plugged with make the divert valves oscillate and jiggle the oil lines with "water hammer". Eventually a line or fitting fails.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #8  
Ok, just got finished testing.

Forward or reverse doesn't seem to matter.

No spraying under fill cap with engine running and rockshaft raised.

It is pulsating like a small Jackhammer though. Rockshaft and front loader both.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #9  
Ok, just got finished testing.

Forward or reverse doesn't seem to matter.

No spraying under fill cap with engine running and rockshaft raised.

It is pulsating like a small Jackhammer though. Rockshaft and front loader both.

That could be the priority valve trying to keep up with the hydraulic system pressure rising and falling. Sounds like flow from somewhere that should not be occurring in the transmission.
Can you get the top cover off the transmission and have a look inside. Cautiously start the engine and look for leaks.

/ John Deere 2030 No Hydraulics #10  
I can try that. Never done it before.

Should I try putting in new filter first?

I appreciate the help. I am clueless when it comes to the inner workings of hydraulic systems.