PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise?

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #21  
Probably what happened is the PTO shaft is just a little short for the tractor. When being used with a rotary cutter and cutting tough material the shafts are not overlapping enough and the inner shaft twisted inside the outer. They are now stuck together. Use a pull along and pull them apart carefully. Remove the outer plastic safety shield, the proper way not with a utility knife, reinsert the inner shaft in the outer and place on a vise or other flat hard surface and tap on the outer shaft half where binding and reshape until the shaft will collapse and extend. You may want to view this video and then measure your PTO shaft using the procedure described in the video and see if the shaft is to short. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBFJcvs5SE

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #22  
Every one seems to think that the shaft miraculously damaged itself while setting in the barn. THe OP said he was using it and unhooked it and put it in the barn so he had to have moved the shaft back at least 3-4" to have unhooked it when he last used it, so it wasnt bend then and barring him running it over with something while in the barn, it should not be a bend shaft and if it was covered, likely not rusted up from setting a few months. That is why I am still thinking that it is the shield that is stuck and not the shaft. Mine was so tight that I had to put a pry bar in the yoke and jam one end in the ground to exend it and even that was hard to do. Now it slides easily and still works as a saftety shield.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #23  
I had same problem with post hole digger this spring. Come along plus tapping got it apart. It was REALLY stuck. It was greased but moisture had condensed in there and I think that was the problem. What you you all think of storing pto shafts separated?

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #24  
I had same problem with post hole digger this spring. Come along plus tapping got it apart. It was REALLY stuck. It was greased but moisture had condensed in there and I think that was the problem. What you you all think of storing pto shafts separated?

If equipment isn't going to be used for a few months, we do take the shafts off and store them in the shed. We always store them half extended (so can be pushed in or out if stuck) and greese them well first. That said, some of our equipment may stand for more than a few months, but because we hadn't anticipated it, the shafts are sat outside...

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #25  
I had the inner tube of the shield warp on my bush hog, not sure how or why but it had a bow in it.

Shaft and outer shield is fine.

I just took it off and still need to replace it.

stay safe-- Jim

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #26  
You fellows that are having trouble with the shields, are greasing the slip collar that rides on the yoke that supports the outer shields aren't you?.. There is usually a plastic grease zerk on this collar that needs greasing also. I am wondering if the slip ring is running dry and gets hot and this is twisting your shield or something like that and building up heat? Don't know and this is just speculation, but I have never had any trouble with a PTO shield, but I do grease the shield at the same time as I grease the crosses in the yokes.

James K0UA

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #27  
I dont chain them like some folks, I check them to make sure that they spin on the shaft and then just let them turn with the shaft. That way they arent building up heat from friction. I have greased the plastic zerks a few times but that didnt help it slide in and out, just got grease inside the collar. For anyone that chains them down so they dont spin, I would grease the devil out of it.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #28  
what is proper greasing of a PTO shaft? you have your X or crosses on each end, that should have any were from 1 to 2 grease zerks, the metal shafts, and then possibly to 1 to 2 on PTO plastic shields as well.

for the metal shafts, for those that have had problems, when you take the shafts apart. are you taking a towl and just squirting grease on towl. and then rubbing towl over the smaller size PTO shaft?

after greasing PTO shaft, are you fully extending and contracting PTO shaft, to work the grease into everything? or perhaps hooking up implement and fully raising and lower the 3pt hitch with attachment connected to work the grease into things?

when greasing the PTO shaft (metal shaft portions) with grease zerk, are you pumping enough grease into the shafts, to cause old grease to ooze out till you see new grease? or are you just putting a few hand pumps of grease in. and not really dealing with the dirt and grim that can build up and collect on PTO shafts and in that not working out the dirt and grim and old grease out?

grease types matter.... for the X or crosses on both ends of PTO shaft, are you using a proper grease rated for high heat and usage? such as for wheel bearings, or finishing mower spindles

and then for the metal PTO shaft that slides in and out. a grease that is more geared for lower usage? for FEL, backhoe, pins, and like. that do not move non stop, or build up heat real bad.

is the mind set of not over greasing and trying to keep things looking good? vs having gobs of grease here and there and not wiping off excess grease with a towl? and once things get used. going back and wiping off excess grease or leaving things looking ugly with grease on things?

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #29  
rope one end to something secure (front of your truck etc) and connect the other to the pto on the tractor, and drive slowly away -it will come apart, even if slightly bent.
Couple of things here, I see the potential to damage a pto, that shaft, bearings, gears and all are meant to turn a load not pull a load. If one wants to pull the shaft apart hook it to the drawbar.
Which brings up the second scary scenerio. I'd never use rope in a case like this, and particularly rope that stretches. Get tension on that rope and have something break or come apart and its a potential slingshot.
Case in point an incident that happened on one of the farms close to us when i was a kid. Digging and hauling sugar beets, operator of the pull tractor had a 6 foot or so length of chain hooked to an inch and a half diameter tow rope. (trying to speed up hooking up the tow tractor) Pulling a truck through a muddy field and hook broke. The chain on the end of that stretched out rope went through the back of the cab of the tractor, damaged the seat and bruised the operaters back badly.
tieing part of a pto shaft to an imovable object with rope and pulling the other end is potentially just as dangerous.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #30  
Couple of things here, I see the potential to damage a pto, that shaft, bearings, gears and all are meant to turn a load not pull a load. If one wants to pull the shaft apart hook it to the drawbar.
Which brings up the second scary scenerio. I'd never use rope in a case like this, and particularly rope that stretches. Get tension on that rope and have something break or come apart and its a potential slingshot.
Case in point an incident that happened on one of the farms close to us when i was a kid. Digging and hauling sugar beets, operator of the pull tractor had a 6 foot or so length of chain hooked to an inch and a half diameter tow rope. (trying to speed up hooking up the tow tractor) Pulling a truck through a muddy field and hook broke. The chain on the end of that stretched out rope went through the back of the cab of the tractor, damaged the seat and bruised the operaters back badly.
tieing part of a pto shaft to an imovable object with rope and pulling the other end is potentially just as dangerous.

I doubt a stuck pto shaft will give as much resistance as a stuck tractor! Also who on earth would use a chain and a rope for towing - that is just dumb and asking for trouble...

In 30 years the method I descibed for parting stuck pto shafts has always worked for me, and in the process of parting them I've never mangled a pto shaft - which I have seen other people do using chains....

Regarding using the tractor pto shaft to pull - that is why you use rope - it will snap befor causing any damage. Also no risk of sling shot, as the one section of shaft is still attached to the tractor. I am of course talking light weight nylon rope here - not the kind you use to moor a boat with! :laughing: