PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise?

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #1  

MrPepper

Tractor
MF165
I went to hook-up my cutter and couldn't because the drive shaft wouldn't telescope. I cannot lengthen it or compress it. Any ideas what would cause this? It is fairly new. I haven't removed the safety shield yet to see. Thought I'd run it by the experts first.

Last edited:
   / PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #2  
I'm quessing it rusted some where it telescopes from lack of grease or it got bent

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #3  
Common issue. Start tapping it with a mallet. You will break the tension caused by a bit of rust.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise?
There isn't any rust and it is well greased. I wonder if it is bent? It has been so dry, I haven't been mowing much so i put it in the barn. I moved it using the 3-Pt hitch but didn't hook up to PTO. I don't think anything came into contact with it, but suppose it is possible. I pulled back the safety cover and couldn't see much. The middle of the shaft is always covered. It appears I'll need to remove the whole shaft and cover to inspect it. If it is bent, can it be easily repaired?

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #5  
Sometimes you just have to use force to free these up. Dirt and debris can foul the grease, lack of use seems to lock up fouled grease, and of course there is always rust - deep inside where you can't see it.

I would hook a come-along to the yoke, put it under tension and tap on it. I bet it will slide out.

Degrease it, and put new geese on the shaft. Should be good to go.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #6  
Take off the shaft, rope one end to something secure (front of your truck etc) and connect the other to the pto on the tractor, and drive slowly away -it will come apart, even if slightly bent. Then remove the safety covers and check each piece with a straight edge to see if there is any distortion... My guess is the same of other people here - it just needs freeing and re-greasing...

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise?
It appears to be hyperextended -- stuck in its longest position. I will try to loosen it with my mallet and a piece of 2x4.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #8  
The pto shafts that I am familiar with do not have a "longest position" they simply separate into 2 pieces. When mine was stuck I used a come-along to pull it between 2 trees. Put tension on then tapped with hammer. It took a little work but it worked. This was on an old very rusted mower I bought. You should not have much trouble with yours.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #9  
I too had to use the come-along to pull my pto shaft apart. I cleaned the old crusty dried grease, fresh grease and now it is slick and can be easily telescoping.

/ PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise? #10  
i have had a few problems with "suction" or air trapped. and i was not physically strong enough to over come the sticky grease, and air trapped.

and like others said, was forced to tie implement off to a tree or truck. and then hook end of PTO shaft onto back of tractor draw bar. with a chain/rope/wire and pull PTO shaft apart. and tapping with a hammer.

there is no "special" thing like a snap ring or pin, or like, that keeps the PTO shaft from fully extending and coming apart into 2 pieces. reason why care needs to be taken when you "cut down" new PTO shafts, to have correct overlap.

================
speaking of being fairly new. you may need to cut PTO shaft down. to properly fit the implement and your tractor.