Ford Jubilee steering shaft

/ Ford Jubilee steering shaft #1  

laserheat

Tractor
Ford Jubilee
Hello all,
I had some grinding going on with my steering box on my jubilee. I have removed the box and have both sector gears removed and have unbolted the tube assembly from the main part of the box. My question is how do I remove the shaft out of the tube assembly? I have the shop manual, but it does not explain how to remove the shaft out of the tube. My top bearing is bad and the top column assembly (bearing ?) is also bad. Can I just push (hammer carefully) the shaft down so the tube will slide up and over? Is the top bearing what is holding it in the tube? Just need some clarification on how to remove the shaft with out damaging it since I think I just need to replace the top bearing and the column assembly. Any details you can provide (removing the tube and replacing the bearings) would be appreciated.

Eric

/ Ford Jubilee steering shaft
Thanks whodat526. I was able to get it out. One tip I would add, do not thread the steering nut on the shaft in order to tap on it. I ended up stripping the threads (had to hit it too hard)....live and learn. It was the top steering column bearing (at the very top by the wheel which was really holding tight. Thanks again.