1952 Ford 8N won't start

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #21  
follow this logic.... screw starts loosenoing.. points start slipping and gradually close up.

as they close up.. the gap is reduced. a s the gap is reduced, the points are no longer opening far enough to prevent spark jump after condensor charges up as much as it can... thus points arc.. arcing points burn.

this situation can happen in a matter of minutes... seen it happen.

I also have just seen the scre slip and they close right up immediatly. and no harm done.

just a points fault.. not so much a failure in the latter case.

soundguy

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #22  
Put in a different condenser. I've had new ones fail after a short time. If you have an old one that was working, try that one. On this type of old ignition the condenser is the most failure prone part. An engine usually won't run at all if the condenser is bad.

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #23  
If Soundguy cant help ya get it running, it is dead for life....

One thing I didnt see anyone comment on, you keep making a point that the wiring is old.....

The best thing I ever did was replace the wiring harness with a new one, it was cheap, maybe 30 bucks 18 years ago, and less than an hour to do it

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #24  
Put in a different condenser. I've had new ones fail after a short time. If you have an old one that was working, try that one. On this type of old ignition the condenser is the most failure prone part. An engine usually won't run at all if the condenser is bad.

it's been my experience that the condensor can be the least touched part in an ignition system.

i know i have a couple tractors with vintage condensors inthem.

they sure last a heck of a lot longer than points, plugs cap and rotor.

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #25  
Well... Are we running yet????
Where did he go?

Last edited:
   / 1952 Ford 8N won't start #26  
Saw this thread about no spark from coil to distributor. I'm in the same boat as rickdmedina. I have a 1948 Ford 8N 6v positive ground, front mounted distributor all OEM sn 10101. I am following your instructions, soundguy, and appreciate the info. Let you know the results. Thanks!!

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #27  
keep us posted...

she's a 47 not a 48...

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #28  
Good to know. all this time we thought she was a 48!

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #29  
1st sn for 48 is 37908

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #30  
What voltage should we read across the key switch? I would expect to see 6 volts on and 0 volts off. Is that correct?