1952 Ford 8N won't start

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #51  
that's the kind of post that is less than helpfull on the surface..

the op stated in post 1 that his machine was negative ground.

makes -0- difference what it left the factory as 64 ys ago.. matters what it is now.

aside from that i'm staying out of the pi$$ing contest.

i'm here to fix old tractors.. that's it.

soundguy

They are positive ground

scroll down to the bottom of the first table Old Ford Tractor Specifications and Data

Click on the 4th page, (it is number 12 in the manual) 1948 Ford 8n: Ford 8n Specs

Maybe I do know a little bit about what I'm talking about.:scratchchin:

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #52  
OK, so what if I read no voltage in both cases?

no voltage across a closed switch is normal.

no voltage across an open switch can be normal IF the poitns are open.

close the points then check across that open switch

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #53  
no voltage across a closed switch is normal.

no voltage across an open switch can be normal IF the poitns are open.

close the points then check across that open switch

OK, will check on that. Here is another question:
Should the distributor (front mount) turn free and easy when removed from the tractor, i.e. held in hand?
I ask because after having replaced points and condenser I noticed the spring clip inside was slightly displaced/not seated all the way around the groove. When I push the clip into place forcing the plate down (which I would imagine is the correct arrangement), the distributor becomes very hard to turn by hand. When the clip is slightly dislodged and the plate rises (about 1/16) then it spins more freely. Could this be an indication of some internal distributor problem?

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #54  
yes, it should turn freely and not bind.

check her out. check out bushings and breaker plate.

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #55  
Soundguy said:
that's the kind of post that is less than helpfull on the surface..

the op stated in post 1 that his machine was negative ground.

makes -0- difference what it left the factory as 64 ys ago.. matters what it is now.

aside from that i'm staying out of the pi$$ing contest.

i'm here to fix old tractors.. that's it.

soundguy

The reason I orignally said that was because the OP had his battery hooked up backwards. Then Don was accussing me of not knowing what I am tallking about. I guess I'm the bad guy for that.

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #56  
backwards is a point of view from a realative position.

in reality, the generator can be polarized to run positive or negative ground.

the coil leads can be swapped.

at that point.. ground polarity is just what post is tied to the chassis.

there is a small issue of thermionic emission or edison effect with that polarity.. but not enough to make any tangible big deal about.

the main issue is once it is stated what the current ground polarity is.. you then give troubleshooting details based upon the current setup, that way the OP can follow them more easilly. or.. at least that's what i like to do.. otherwise you risk confiusing the issue telling them how to trouble shoot something that's hooked up differently. which, can cause confusion in observed vs expected measurements.

soundguy

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #57  
In reality his battery was hooked up backwards but lets get this thread back on topic and get this guys tractor running.

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #58  
In reality his battery was hooked up backwards but lets get this thread back on topic and get this guys tractor running.

in reality, his battery was hooked up.

it was hooked up differently than it left the factory... but yeah.. I agree.. jumping up and down saying i'm right, i'm right about battery polarity ain't helping him any.

I've been 'moved on ready' since the first few posts.. your turn now.. ;) :)

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #59  

in reality, his battery was hooked up.

it was hooked up differently than it left the factory... but yeah.. I agree.. jumping up and down saying i'm right, i'm right about battery polarity ain't helping him any.

I've been 'moved on ready' since the first few posts.. your turn now.. ;) :)

/ 1952 Ford 8N won't start #60  
i wouldn't even call myself a mechainc.. but i do like beating on old iron...