Repairing hard hydraulic line crack

/ Repairing hard hydraulic line crack #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
I cracked a hydraulic line on my tractor yesterday. It is right next to a tee in the line and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to repair something like this. The replacement line is 150$ so I was wondering if it could be soldered or brazed. I'm not really sure what type of metal it is either. Any suggestions?

/ Repairing hard hydraulic line crack #2  
is the T fitting something it screws into/ or compression, or is welded/soldered/brazed into? depending upont he answer, you will want to remove it for repair, and the type of repair could be different.

in general, i've have great luck brazing thin waleld hyd metal tubing.

I have also silver soldered tubing into cast and steel fittings ( many times this is an oem setup anyway on the stuff i work on ).

in a few rare occasions of hard to find, remove or repair parts i have cut the line and, if it is a standard fitting type on one end, get a short hose nade with that fitting on one end, and then hyd compression on the other.. then cut the tube, clean up end and attach compression fitting after other end is attached.. etc.. ( yes.. there are hyd compression fittings.. I'm not talking about brass/copper water fittings.... ).. exact details will determine repair

/ Repairing hard hydraulic line crack
Yes it is a little square box at the tee and it cracked right next to it. I located a hydraulic shop in town and I'm going to see what they can do w it. Maybe as you say they can cut the tee out and replace it. I'll update after I get it there. Thanks for the suggestions.

/ Repairing hard hydraulic line crack #4  
post back

/ Repairing hard hydraulic line crack
Good news, got er fixed! The hydraulic shop said there wasn't enough room to splice in so I took it to a machine shop and got it brazed up. He had to be careful w the heat to not melt the joint on the short end. Best of all it was 10$ vs 140$ and down time for the new part! :)

Attachments

• image-1765608157.jpg
    image-1765608157.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 519
   / Repairing hard hydraulic line crack #6  
pretty common repair. running brass around a crack.

glad you got it fixed..