Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL

Default High Temp Error Code/Tractor Shut Down...JD 4320

For the past couple of weeks my tractor has approached 3/4 high temp to high temp and error code came on. I'd shut the tractor off and let the tractor cool down and the temp gauge went back down for a good hour but then approached the high temp mark again and error code came on. I've only used it a couple of times when it did this. Coolant is full as well as oil. The field I was mowing did have small particles of weeds/grass getting in the front hood's vent so I cleaned it out but that didn't help that much.

Yesterday the temp went high, I cleaned off the front vent, turned back on the tractor and headed home to call technician. As I got half way there, the tractor shut down.

When I crank it, the tractor wants to start, the engine just doesn't turn over...like it would if it were out of fuel.

Any tips or should I just get it serviced?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Default Re: High Temp Error Code/Tractor Shut Down...JD 4320

Clean the pre-filter on the air cleaner? If it's clogging the radiator it is likely clogging the air filters also.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD: LX172, X740, 3520

Did you clean the radiator screen (hanging on the front of the radiator, behind the battery)?
    Should also use an air hose to blow out the radiator fins (blowing from the engine side of the radiator, toward the front of the tractor).

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL

Quote Originally Posted by John_in_TN View Post
    Did you clean the radiator screen (hanging on the front of the radiator, behind the battery)?
    Should also use an air hose to blow out the radiator fins (blowing from the engine side of the radiator, toward the front of the tractor).
    Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it fixed. I'm embarassed to say I didn't notice sooner. The small area either behind or in front of the radiator was packed with weeds and weed seed. No wonder it was overheating. Cleaned it out with air hose and now it works better than ever. Thanks again. I enjoy fixing things like this, everytime something breaks and I'm unable to fix it myself I learn even more about my tractor.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD: LX172, X740, 3520

Great!!! It is always gratifing to sort out and correct a problem without having to go to the repair shop.