4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical?

/ 4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical? #1  

Newfman

Tractor
'04 John Deere 4310
The other day, I was doing regular chores, nothing strenuous. While driving up the driveway to put the tractor away, engine at about 1100 RPM, it acted like I turned the key off and as it was shutting down, a considerable amount of smoke came from the 'firewall' region of the engine compartment. I thought I had melted the fuse block.

So, I have torn down the shrouds, pulled the fuse block, and don't find anything significant. A big mouse nest iin the dash but no signs of chewing. The engine turns over, but no attempt to start. I'm thinking the fuel solenoid is the or an issue. It feels like the plastic on the back of the solenoid towards the engine is rough and may have had some melting. Seems like there was more smoke than that though. There was a very small amount of melted plasting of the wire loom at the end, (wires leading to the solenoid and the harness/solenoid connector) but no wire damage.

I don't get a clicking at the solenoid when I engage the key. So, that isn't good. I don't want to just put another solenoid in and smoke it, but I cannot find any evidence of a wire chewed/chaffed or grounded that would lead to shorting out the solenoid. Could the solenoid actually spontaneously short internally, and is there enough voltage there to cause it to smoke check?

anyone have a similar issue? Does anyone know of a 4310 repair manual? I've been told that it is part of a repair manual system, and they cannot sell an individual manual.

Thanks,
Dennis

/ 4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical? #2  
check your private messages

/ 4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical?
Got it, thanks!

/ 4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical? #4  
Short in the fuel solenoid wiring so it got full voltage while running instead of the reduced voltage that it should have once it pulls in????? Don't ask why I chose THAT reason......

/ 4310- died in a puff of smoke! Electrical?
Short in the fuel solenoid wiring so it got full voltage while running instead of the reduced voltage that it should have once it pulls in????? Don't ask why I chose THAT reason......

Hey, I'll go for that. Turns out, the back of the solenoid had overheated and there was definitely a bit of melting going on. I peeled the separated back cover off and smelled it and it smelled exactly like the scent in the smoke that I experienced. Hopefully is was caused by its own failure, and not by an external source.