New Holland TC35D dead electrical system

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #1  

tractorblue

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
Put in new battery 4 months ago... tried to start after not using for 3 weeks and batery was dead. I jumped it with car and got it started. After idling for a few minutes while I was cleaning up the tractor died on it own. I turn the ignition swith and everything is totally dead. I've checked all the fuses including the master fuse. I had cleaned battery terminals and checked cables and ground all seems good. Any suggestions?

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #2  
G'day it's possible your battery may have died or that your have a dud alternator that is draining the battery and not charging. Do you have any means of charging the battery fully and then once running checking the charge rate it should be around 13.8 - 14.5 volts with the engine running.

Jon

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system
I'll put it on charge overnight and see if she'll crank, then check the charge. Would a bad alternator account for it engine dying all of a sudden?

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #4  
A bad alternator will not stop a running diesel engine unless it has electronic direct injection. I'm not familiar with that model but suspect it has a mechanical injection pump.

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #5  
*ughs* alternators, have been my worse nightmare. in all my vehicles i have had over the years. normally leaving me stranded out in middle of no were. the ugyliness is when ya driving down the road, and you can just tell vehicle is slowlying down. ((worst at night time)) and your lights begin going dim. and not enough light to see were to pull over.

some of the more expensive battery chargers, have ability to test an alternator. just make sure you read up on the directions.

I charged the battery all night and still dead at the turn of ignition switch. I guess the switch is bad; battery, alternator, or short somewhere. I love my NH except for the nightmarish electrical system with all the cheap safety switches they use. Not sure where to start?

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #7  
Charge the battery one more time. Leave it disconnected overnight and try it again the next day. If the battery is again dead, it's no good. If the tractor starts, then you have something drawing the battery down while all is turned off. If that turns out to be the case, I have a few ideas for you to make some quick tests.

Harry.... I had the battery charged overnight (charger indicator light indicates full charge). I still get "nothing" form turning the ignition switch. Any troubleshooting tips?

/ New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #9  
I'm sure you have done this but I have to ask....is everything in neutral, transmission, Pto, Speed range selector ? then you need to remember the saftey switches you mentioned...seat, PTO, neutral on trans and speed....Those are the easy ones since you have already checked the fuses but on the fuses be sure to check again and look very close , sometimes they are blown and it is really hard to see the break...let us know. Also check your battery cables...they may look great on the outside but inside they could have disintegrated....follow the cables all the way and check their integrity...

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC35D dead electrical system #10  
Sometimes a switch going bad will make during the transition from off to on. IE, contacts are worn or spring shot when made, but some contact is possible when contacts are sliding into position. Try your safety switches by holding on Start, moving range lever, shift lever, PTO, etc.
Or maybe Jim Inman will just jump in and tell you what's wrong - your best bet!
Jim