Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC35D

Default New Holland TC35D dead electrical system

Put in new battery 4 months ago... tried to start after not using for 3 weeks and batery was dead. I jumped it with car and got it started. After idling for a few minutes while I was cleaning up the tractor died on it own. I turn the ignition swith and everything is totally dead. I've checked all the fuses including the master fuse. I had cleaned battery terminals and checked cables and ground all seems good. Any suggestions?

Default Re: New Holland TC35D dead electrical system

G'day it's possible your battery may have died or that your have a dud alternator that is draining the battery and not charging. Do you have any means of charging the battery fully and then once running checking the charge rate it should be around 13.8 - 14.5 volts with the engine running.

Jon

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D

I'll put it on charge overnight and see if she'll crank, then check the charge. Would a bad alternator account for it engine dying all of a sudden?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Rusty junk

A bad alternator will not stop a running diesel engine unless it has electronic direct injection. I'm not familiar with that model but suspect it has a mechanical injection pump.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

*ughs* alternators, have been my worse nightmare. in all my vehicles i have had over the years. normally leaving me stranded out in middle of no were. the ugyliness is when ya driving down the road, and you can just tell vehicle is slowlying down. ((worst at night time)) and your lights begin going dim. and not enough light to see were to pull over.

some of the more expensive battery chargers, have ability to test an alternator. just make sure you read up on the directions.
    Ryan

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D

I charged the battery all night and still dead at the turn of ignition switch. I guess the switch is bad; battery, alternator, or short somewhere. I love my NH except for the nightmarish electrical system with all the cheap safety switches they use. Not sure where to start?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Allis Chalmers ED 40

Charge the battery one more time. Leave it disconnected overnight and try it again the next day. If the battery is again dead, it's no good. If the tractor starts, then you have something drawing the battery down while all is turned off. If that turns out to be the case, I have a few ideas for you to make some quick tests.

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D

Harry.... I had the battery charged overnight (charger indicator light indicates full charge). I still get "nothing" form turning the ignition switch. Any troubleshooting tips?

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

I'm sure you have done this but I have to ask....is everything in neutral, transmission, Pto, Speed range selector ? then you need to remember the saftey switches you mentioned...seat, PTO, neutral on trans and speed....Those are the easy ones since you have already checked the fuses but on the fuses be sure to check again and look very close , sometimes they are blown and it is really hard to see the break...let us know. Also check your battery cables...they may look great on the outside but inside they could have disintegrated....follow the cables all the way and check their integrity...
    Last edited by brin; 08-23-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Sometimes a switch going bad will make during the transition from off to on. IE, contacts are worn or spring shot when made, but some contact is possible when contacts are sliding into position. Try your safety switches by holding on Start, moving range lever, shift lever, PTO, etc.
    Or maybe Jim Inman will just jump in and tell you what's wrong - your best bet!
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast