Slip Clutch Springs

/ Slip Clutch Springs #1  

nspec

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Farmall AI, '44 Farmall A
I'm trying to find out where to get a couple of replacement springs for the slip clutch on my King Kutter tiller. Anyone have any ideas?

/ Slip Clutch Springs #3  
Consider replacing all of the springs at once. That way the slip clutch will still operate properly. If one or more already broke/are worn- replacing a couple will potentially cause failure.

Of the slip clutch units I have, One (tiller) is to torque gradually until it catches then an additional turn- then adjust for the soil conditions. The other one is to compress the spring to a specific length.

Better to be safe than sorry

/ Slip Clutch Springs
Thanks everyone. I did see Powell Equipment's springs and may go that route. I really only need one. It is virtually new, but somehow I lost a spring. My nut was obviously too loose on that one. I've checked all the rest and they're fine. Just didn't want to buy one mismatched spring. I'm thinking the pressure should be equal all the way around.

/ Slip Clutch Springs #6  
At least you don't have a screw loose.........

if essentially new and just a lost part, I would think replacing the one would be ok

But if your nuts are loose............maybe a personal issue LOL

/ Slip Clutch Springs #7  
You want to get a spring with the same stiffness so it deflects the same amount as the other springs at a given load.
This will be described as "spring rate" in pounds per inch of travel.
Spring rate is determined by type of steel used for the wire, wire shape (round, square, etc.), wire cross section, number of coils, outside diameter of coils.
You also want to match the free (unloaded) length, as you will be adjusting the clutch by counting turns of the nut.
Very hard to know you are getting a good match unless you can find a part with all the same measurements.
Did you try King Kutter for an exact match? I've had very good luck with their parts and delivery service.
CBW1999 is right about getting a full set if you can't get an exact match to the existing one.
If you have a Eurocardan, you could try Agri Supply:
http://www.agrisupply.com/Tension-Spring-Fd-Eurocardan/p/32498/&sid=&eid=/

/ Slip Clutch Springs
Those are my thoughts exactly....I would like the same spring. I've sent an email to King Kutter as I have had very good responses from them in the past. I will try agrisupply - thanks!