Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Bronze Member biker4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93
    Location
    Burton Mi
    Tractor
    AC WD 45, JD 212, Ford 850

    Default Massey #3 Baler

    I'm getting into baling hay and got my hands on a Massey #3 baler. The plunger slides are really tight, and yesterday the thing broke the output shaft on the differential. I have tried all the local dealers, and from what I'm told this part should be the same for those older Massey balers from the #3 to the #130. Trouble is it's like finding hen's teeth. The AGCO part number is 583596M92 Carrier Assembly, Ring Gear. Does anyone know where I might find one, or could I weld this one, or should I just junk the baler? I think I should get out of it what I paid for it in scrap, but then I have no baler. Thanks in advance for the help.

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,087
    Location
    ONTARIO
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    If you can weld good giver a shot worst that will happen is it will break again. Did you look for any parts balers to get the parts from.

  3. #3
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Location
    Northern California-Tehama Co.
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    Quote Originally Posted by biker4jc View Post
    I'm getting into baling hay and got my hands on a Massey #3 baler. The plunger slides are really tight, and yesterday the thing broke the output shaft on the differential. I have tried all the local dealers, and from what I'm told this part should be the same for those older Massey balers from the #3 to the #130. Trouble is it's like finding hen's teeth. The AGCO part number is 583596M92 Carrier Assembly, Ring Gear. Does anyone know where I might find one, or could I weld this one, or should I just junk the baler? I think I should get out of it what I paid for it in scrap, but then I have no baler. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Old MF balers show up on eBAy periodically, but they go for $2K or more. I bought my MF124 baler a few years ago locally for $2K. I don't recall seeing anyone parting out an old MF baler recently on eBay or Craigslist. I'd try welding the shaft if it's possible to get a deep penetration weld. Take a few photos of the damaged parts and visit a local weld shop to see if they think it's worth trying to weld. Otherwise, scrap it and start over.

  4. #4
    Bronze Member biker4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93
    Location
    Burton Mi
    Tractor
    AC WD 45, JD 212, Ford 850

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    I'm pretty sure the baler I bought is a parts baler. Heading out later today to look at a #12. From what I can tell the important parts interchange, knotters, needles, and other expensive parts. I'll keep you posted.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member biker4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93
    Location
    Burton Mi
    Tractor
    AC WD 45, JD 212, Ford 850

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    Sorry I dropped the ball here guys. I did buy that MF #12 baler. It needed some minor tweaking, but it worked pretty good for the last few bales I needed to get done this year. I'm going to strip that old #3 for the interchangable parts, and scrap the rest. Only paid $400 for the #12, think I did ok so far.

  6. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    520
    Location
    Kansas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 4WD

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    I am going to go look at a MF #12 tomorrow. Could you tell me how wide it is from outside wheel to outside wheel? It is located about 150 miles away so if I get it I would have to trailer it, but all I have is a 76" wide trailer with sides. I am hoping I can get mine for $400. We will see. Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

  7. #7
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Location
    Northern California-Tehama Co.
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan197 View Post
    I am going to go look at a MF #12 tomorrow. Could you tell me how wide it is from outside wheel to outside wheel? It is located about 150 miles away so if I get it I would have to trailer it, but all I have is a 76" wide trailer with sides. I am hoping I can get mine for $400. We will see. Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

    My MF124 baler is 16'2" length overall, 8'4" wide overall, and 4'5" with the packer arms in the down position. YOu'll have to remove the hitch and pto shaft to get it sideways on your trailer.
    $400 for a MF12 baler? I'd give it a thorough inspection before paying even than much. If the knotters or twisters are bad, you may have trouble finding inexpensive replacement parts.

    My 124 cost $2K but I bought it right out of the field (seller baled 30 acres the previous day) and checked the operation thoroughly before paying. I towed it home with my F150--back roads, 25 mph tops, careful not to drop the right wheel in the ditch.

    Good luck and be careful out there.

  8. #8
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Location
    Northern California-Tehama Co.
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    My MF124 baler is 16'2" length overall, 8'4" wide overall, and 4'5" with the packer arms in the down position. YOu'll have to remove the hitch and pto shaft to get it sideways on your trailer.
    $400 for a MF12 baler? I'd give it a thorough inspection before paying even than much. If the knotters or twisters are bad, you may have trouble finding inexpensive replacement parts.

    My 124 cost $2K but I bought it right out of the field (seller baled 30 acres the previous day) and checked the operation thoroughly before paying. I towed it home with my F150--back roads, 25 mph tops, careful not to drop the right wheel in the ditch.

    Good luck and be careful out there.
    Make that 4'5" TALL......

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    520
    Location
    Kansas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 4WD

    Default Re: Massey #3 Baler

    Thanks for the quick response. This baler is located at a farm auction. The notes say it has been stored inside. We will see.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with Massey 124 Baler
    By nwwy in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM
  2. Massey 124 baler
    By CCC in forum Massey Ferguson Classic/Vintage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  3. Massey ferguson 12 square baler
    By montanakid1992 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM
  4. Massey ferguson 12 square baler
    By Simpkins85 in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 09:52 PM
  5. massey 187 baler
    By boon187 in forum Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.