Massey #3 Baler

/ Massey #3 Baler #1  

biker4jc

Bronze Member
Tractor
AC WD 45, JD 212, Ford 850
I'm getting into baling hay and got my hands on a Massey #3 baler. The plunger slides are really tight, and yesterday the thing broke the output shaft on the differential. I have tried all the local dealers, and from what I'm told this part should be the same for those older Massey balers from the #3 to the #130. Trouble is it's like finding hen's teeth. The AGCO part number is 583596M92 Carrier Assembly, Ring Gear. Does anyone know where I might find one, or could I weld this one, or should I just junk the baler? I think I should get out of it what I paid for it in scrap, but then I have no baler. Thanks in advance for the help.

/ Massey #3 Baler #2  
If you can weld good giver a shot worst that will happen is it will break again. Did you look for any parts balers to get the parts from.

/ Massey #3 Baler #3  
I'm getting into baling hay and got my hands on a Massey #3 baler. The plunger slides are really tight, and yesterday the thing broke the output shaft on the differential. I have tried all the local dealers, and from what I'm told this part should be the same for those older Massey balers from the #3 to the #130. Trouble is it's like finding hen's teeth. The AGCO part number is 583596M92 Carrier Assembly, Ring Gear. Does anyone know where I might find one, or could I weld this one, or should I just junk the baler? I think I should get out of it what I paid for it in scrap, but then I have no baler. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old MF balers show up on eBAy periodically, but they go for $2K or more. I bought my MF124 baler a few years ago locally for $2K. I don't recall seeing anyone parting out an old MF baler recently on eBay or Craigslist. I'd try welding the shaft if it's possible to get a deep penetration weld. Take a few photos of the damaged parts and visit a local weld shop to see if they think it's worth trying to weld. Otherwise, scrap it and start over.

/ Massey #3 Baler
I'm pretty sure the baler I bought is a parts baler. Heading out later today to look at a #12. From what I can tell the important parts interchange, knotters, needles, and other expensive parts. I'll keep you posted.

/ Massey #3 Baler
Sorry I dropped the ball here guys. I did buy that MF #12 baler. It needed some minor tweaking, but it worked pretty good for the last few bales I needed to get done this year. I'm going to strip that old #3 for the interchangable parts, and scrap the rest. Only paid $400 for the #12, think I did ok so far.

/ Massey #3 Baler #6  
I am going to go look at a MF #12 tomorrow. Could you tell me how wide it is from outside wheel to outside wheel? It is located about 150 miles away so if I get it I would have to trailer it, but all I have is a 76" wide trailer with sides. I am hoping I can get mine for $400. We will see. Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

/ Massey #3 Baler #7  
I am going to go look at a MF #12 tomorrow. Could you tell me how wide it is from outside wheel to outside wheel? It is located about 150 miles away so if I get it I would have to trailer it, but all I have is a 76" wide trailer with sides. I am hoping I can get mine for $400. We will see. Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

My MF124 baler is 16'2" length overall, 8'4" wide overall, and 4'5" with the packer arms in the down position. YOu'll have to remove the hitch and pto shaft to get it sideways on your trailer.
$400 for a MF12 baler? I'd give it a thorough inspection before paying even than much. If the knotters or twisters are bad, you may have trouble finding inexpensive replacement parts.

My 124 cost $2K but I bought it right out of the field (seller baled 30 acres the previous day) and checked the operation thoroughly before paying. I towed it home with my F150--back roads, 25 mph tops, careful not to drop the right wheel in the ditch.

Good luck and be careful out there.

/ Massey #3 Baler #8  
My MF124 baler is 16'2" length overall, 8'4" wide overall, and 4'5" with the packer arms in the down position. YOu'll have to remove the hitch and pto shaft to get it sideways on your trailer.
$400 for a MF12 baler? I'd give it a thorough inspection before paying even than much. If the knotters or twisters are bad, you may have trouble finding inexpensive replacement parts.

My 124 cost $2K but I bought it right out of the field (seller baled 30 acres the previous day) and checked the operation thoroughly before paying. I towed it home with my F150--back roads, 25 mph tops, careful not to drop the right wheel in the ditch.

Good luck and be careful out there.

Make that 4'5" TALL......

/ Massey #3 Baler #9  
Thanks for the quick response. This baler is located at a farm auction. The notes say it has been stored inside. We will see.

/ Massey #3 Baler #10  
I'm getting into baling hay and got my hands on a Massey #3 baler. The plunger slides are really tight, and yesterday the thing broke the output shaft on the differential. I have tried all the local dealers, and from what I'm told this part should be the same for those older Massey balers from the #3 to the #130. Trouble is it's like finding hen's teeth. The AGCO part number is 583596M92 Carrier Assembly, Ring Gear. Does anyone know where I might find one, or could I weld this one, or should I just junk the baler? I think I should get out of it what I paneedid for it in scrap, but then I have no baler. Thanks in advance for the help.

just asked if u had needles,it have the part u need big wheel and gearbox the one i have is in good shape been barn kept all its life. I could sell it for 500.00 plus shipping