repair of a cylinder worth cost

/ repair of a cylinder worth cost #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
I need to have a 18 inch hydraulic clyinder repaired. the shaft is bent. Is it worth the cost or is going to be one of those jobs that cost more to repair then to replace? and where would you get clyinders fixed in the first place. It cost about a hundred dollars to buy new with shipping from northern tool.

thanks

/ repair of a cylinder worth cost #2  
If it was just a seal kit, you'd probably come out better, but with the rod bent, I think you'd spend less buying a new cylinder for $100. I had a cylinder rebuilt and a bent rod straightened for about $150 several years ago.

/ repair of a cylinder worth cost #3  
Is this cylinder being matched up to another one in paralel. ie on a loader bucket. If so be sure you are doing a proper matchup with a new cyllinder or they may operate at different rates and cause binding or something worse.

/ repair of a cylinder worth cost #4  
I agree with Jinman, if it was seals you would probably get it repacked for less. Since it's a bent rod it'll be more. You didn't say what size shaft it had and of course the bigger the more expensive it'll be to replace it. Also you have to look at things like did it damage the cylinder cap.

I would suggest that you look in the phone book and find a hydraulic repair place and ask them what it may cost to rebuild it.

As another poster stated, if it's part of a dual cylinder system you need to ensure that the replacement part operates identical.

/ repair of a cylinder worth cost #5  
Green thumb i replaced a bent cylinder on my back hoe same price 100$ was easy to do and i dont worry about new part old part was rusted and crome has flaked go new
edt