1988 Ford 3910 that mice chewed the wire

/ 1988 Ford 3910 that mice chewed the wire #1  

Rascalsweet

Tractor
1988 ford 3910
we have 1988 Ford 3910 that mice chewed the wire from the fuel gauge to tank sender. On the back of the gauge cluster there is an open positive terminal at the fuel gauge and open terminal connected to wire going ground. I can't remember if the wire should've went the positive or ground terminal.

Before I pulled the gauge cluster the temp gauge worked perfectly. Now It goes straight to red, hot reading, when the key is turned on. It doesn't do this the wire going to temp sensor is removed, doesn't show a reading that way of coarse.

I am trying figure out if I broke a wire in harness (all look to intact going by looking at the out side insulation), or have shorted out the gauge cluster.

If anyone can help with either question, it'll make me look smarter.

/ 1988 Ford 3910 that mice chewed the wire #2  
Normally guages have 12volts to the guage then the wire from the guage to the sensor. The sensor will put a resistance value between the guage and ground. This will then vary the reading of the guage.

So your fuel guage should have 12volts to it from the cluster and the negative should go to the sender.

Since your temp guage goes to HOT and changes when the sender is disconnected. It must be the sender. If you had a short to ground disconnecting the sensor would not make the short go away and the guage would stay at HOT.