Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #11  
I agree. Most likely a seat switch if the blades are clear and nothing is jammed in the belt(s).

I thought that too, but he said it "bogged." If it was a safety interlock, the engine would simply die. Bottom line, though: it's either the safety interlock or something is jamming the belt or blades.

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #12  
If the motor is bogging down, it sounds like you have a spindle bearing locked up. Try turning each bearing shaft including the clutch shaft to see if everything is turning freely

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off
yes the blades turn freely by hand!

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #14  
You don't say what model you have, but if the seat switch was acting up the mower would die as soon as you took your foot off the brake pedal. If this is a hydrostat mower, especially with the foot direction control I would bet that the pedal is sitting slightly to the reverse side, causing it to engine the reverse safety switch, and causing the mower to die because it thinks you are backing up.

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off
Im not sure the model other than LS 35. It is a hydrostat mower. If the pedal is sitting slighty to the reverse how do you correct that?

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #16  
MandySue said:
Im not sure the model other than LS 35. It is a hydrostat mower. If the pedal is sitting slighty to the reverse how do you correct that?

If it is similar to my HST tractor, u would just nudge the forward pedal a little, relieving the pedal from the reverse position.

Also, if that were the problem, I would think u could experiment by putting the gear in neutral position. Then see if motor shuts off when engaging Pto.

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #18  
What make of tractor are we discussing?

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #19  
My zero turn lawnmower did the same thing today!. I put the PTO down and it died, I started all over again and put down the brake and it died. I will look tomorrow on the deck to see if a bunch of grass is clogging it up. A friend put on a new spring said mine was to short and put on a longer one. I am not sure if that is the problem or not. It makes noises when I engage the PTO. Last time I took it to John Deere, they wanted $1700. said it was out of warranty. It had 11 hours on it and they worked on it and put 2 more. All the oil was drained out not covered under warranty. Becareful and check you oil when leaving the dealership. I am not going back, I rather listen to you men. Yes I am a lady. So never let your wife go to a dealership.