Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #1  

MandySue

Tractor
New Holland Ford LS 35
The mower will start and run, but when i engage the PTO it shuts the mower off. Any ideas what may be happening? Anything i can do or check to troubleshoot this problem? Thank you so much for any help!

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #2  
I'm a newbie... But if the mower is running already, its Pto is already engaged.... If u are trying to engage something that is already engaged, shutting itself down is probably stopping a dangerous issue from happening.

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off
When i engage the PTO button to turn the blades on is when the mower shuts off

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #4  
Sounds almost like a seat switch fault.

Does it still move forward and backwards OK ?

yes it does move forward and backward ok. it drives fine until i engage the blades then it boggs the mower off unless i unengage the blades quickly and the mower will keep running

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #6  
Sounds like your mowing deck is jamming - maybe the belts/blade bearings need attention? Mine will do that when in long grass etc. hope that helps.

The mower deck is very clean inside and out. I also checked the belts and they appear to be fine and in place. I understand the mower would bog down in tall grass, but the blades will not engage sitting on the driveway

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #8  
u r referring to the "tractor" as the "mower"... that's a different question than I thought you were asking.

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #9  
Sounds almost like a seat switch fault.

I agree. Most likely a seat switch if the blades are clear and nothing is jammed in the belt(s).

/ Engaging the PTO shuts the mower off #10  
The mower deck is very clean inside and out. I also checked the belts and they appear to be fine and in place. I understand the mower would bog down in tall grass, but the blades will not engage sitting on the driveway

Do the blades turn freely by hand?