When packing wheel bearings....... ?

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
I know how to properly pack the bearings themselves.

My question is about adding extra grease inside the hub? Do I need to or have I been wasting extra grease all these years?

I know that "Bearing Buddies" would be having one fill that space completely, but their purpose is kind of different. They are wanting to purge any water that might have seeped in while launching one's boat.

What say ye all?

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #2  
I always pack a good amount of grease inside the hub inboard of the bearing races (inner and outer)

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #3  
I don't like assembling a new hub or one that has been really well cleaned without something to prevent rust. It is my unsubstantiated opinion that even though no water is present, the moisture in the air when you assemble them is enough to start bare iron rusting, so I tend to spray the insides of them with Rust Check, a rust preventative oil based product or a quick coating of grease if I'm out of Rust Check. I'm probably being nitpicky, but it doesn't take much to eliminate the bare metal. I pack the bearings themselves as one normally would.

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ?
Thanks for the replies.

I know that the grease I use is always labeled for "high temperature", so I don't really know if the temps of the hubs ever get hot enough for it to 'liquify' and move about or if it just stays lumped inside wherever I originally put it. (centrifugal forces aside)

I suspect that if your hubs are getting hot enough to really break down the grease's viscosity, you are about to experience a real trip enriching "bonus" on the side of the road.

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #5  
Thanks for the replies.

I know that the grease I use is always labeled for "high temperature", so I don't really know if the temps of the hubs ever get hot enough for it to 'liquify' and move about or if it just stays lumped inside wherever I originally put it. (centrifugal forces aside)

I suspect that if your hubs are getting hot enough to really break down the grease's viscosity, you are about to experience a real trip enriching "bonus" on the side of the road.

Two months ago realized a wheel had came off the 30ft. cattle trailer. Tire rim and brake hub gone.

Trailer repair shop replaced the bearings and brake assemblly hub and rim new tire Over 500 in repair.
On a trip to Hershey Pa. again saw in rear view mirror the same wheel was wobbling again removed and started looking for repair shop. Found a Farm Store with mechanic with knowledge of axle problems he pointed out the bearing had given away because the axle had flatend out at bottom and bearing race would not hold the alighment. And took a punch to ding the metal and forced bearing retainer on Now 3 thousand miles later trailer is in shop getting axle replaced.
if you are having problems with over warm or heating of bearings it is a good idea to have problem checked. or a very expensive repair .
ken

Thanks Ken for sharing.

As of yet, not experiencing anything like you have had to deal with, but I did majorly overload my trailers years ago. It bend the axle, so that caused the tires to wear funny. When I 'rebuilt' the axle a bit later, I flipped the axle over. Now, every time I overload the poor thing, I am straitening it out, little by little. :)

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #7  
Personally, I always added a fairly generous amount of grease inside the hub, ensuring that I coated all interior surfaces, but not even half way or close to filling the hub.

/ When packing wheel bearings....... ? #8  
I never do more than just pack the bearings and I have never had a bearing go out on me I have noticed come fuzzy rust setting up in the middle between the bearings, Think I'll start putting just a smear in there.

Seems like maybe all that extra grease just makes the person doing the repair feel more mentally at ease. :)

Some of the replies seem to indicate that the grease packed into the bearings stay there and one not need to fear that the bearings will 'starve' without adding copious amounts of extra.

I guess I will lessen how much extra I add, but I doubt I could reassemble everything back with JUST the bearings being packed and nothing else. Just don't seem right... :laughing: