Magnets in Transmission Suction Screen - JD 2305

/ Magnets in Transmission Suction Screen - JD 2305 #1  

KestrelMerlin

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I'm doing the first transmission oil and filter change on a John Deere 2305 and I've never done a tractor before.

Inside the cylindrical transmission suction screen, there are 4 bar magnets - each about 3/16 x 3/16 x 3 inches. When I took the magnets out, they were all clumped together instead of being evenly distributed around the cylinder.

The polarity is such that reversing one magnet end-for-end does not help. When any two are brought together, one will rotate on the long axis and they are strongly attracted to each other.

Anyone know if there is a way to keep the magnets separated?

BTW - I had a hard time getting the retainer cap that holds the transmission screen out of it's socket. It is supposed to be held only by two o-rings after the end clamp is removed, but it was also held by paint that seeped into the gap.

/ Magnets in Transmission Suction Screen - JD 2305 #2  
I have the same issues as you each time I change the fluids. Now I just try to keep the magnets apart until I put it in even though they are always back together the next time. For me, that cap never got any easier. Maybe someone else on here knows a trick. Good luck