1954 Ford PTO leaking oil

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil #1  

JayJay99

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA
I would like to know if the oil seals can be changed from the outside of the tractor. There looks like there is a oval shaped part around the PTO shaft which has two bolts holding it and I think this is something that might be holding the oil seals in. The oil seals are leaking and when I take off the PTO cover there is quite a lot of oil which has leaked into this cover. I would think there is a oil seal on the outside and a bearing on the inside. Can I just pull out the oil seal and replace it with a new one? Thanks for any info...

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil #2  
no you have to pull the pto shaft then take the bearing and shaft out of the pto housing then the seal will come out

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil
That sounds like a much bigger job than I hoped it would be. I just finished repairing the hydraulic system about one month ago and in the early spring I had to change the left axle and had the rear end all opened up. I'm not sure what you have to do to pull the pto shaft out, but it doesn't sound simple. Trying to restore this tractor and was hoping that I was getting close to being done! Thanks for the info... now have to do some investigating further on just how to do that repair and if I should tackle it this year. Thanks again... John Armando

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil #4  
first....get a service manual!!!.

nowthen.... it's very simple...

the time it is taking me to type this info in, you could CHANGE the pto oil seal on that machine.

it's a '2' on a 1-10 scale.. a '1' is an oil change.

drain rear end into bucket.

drain hyds into bucket.

remove the 4 bolts holding the pto bearing carrier and shaft assy into the tractor., pull shaft assy out... may need light tapping to get it the first 1/2" out...

keep in mind the shaft passes thru a seal between hyds and diffy.. so don't beat the shaft around much or you will hog the seal out.

take seal assy to your bench.. remove the snap ring on the back side aft of the bearing.. use small flat screwdriver and needle nise.

tap pto stub end down on a block of wood laying on floor.. bearing carrier and seal will fall off the pto shaft and bearing.

if bearing is goot.. set shaft aside.

clean the carrier.. drive seal out.. seat new seal...

check wear ring on shaft / bearing assy, replace as needed.

remove old gasket from bearing carrier and rear sump

grease ID of new seal.. start it by hand on pto stub.. tap pto shaft, long end down, on that block of wood and pto shaft and bearing will seat into carrier and seal assy.

take to bench.. reinstall snap ring..

reinstall assy with new gasket, being carefull when you stab the shaft assy thru the inter sump seal.

refill hyds and diffy.

it takes longer to drain the oil and replace the parts. this is a EZ standard repair....

soundguy

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil
Thanks for writing the step by step repair info... I think it is just so much better hearing it from someone who has done this before than just looking in my repair manual... but I will do that also!

/ 1954 Ford PTO leaking oil #6  
the manual has a diagram to look at for reassembling the shaft assy if needed.. i don't know if it actually covers R&R.. but it's straight forward. I pretty much plan on a beairng check and seal in every old ford i buy. just about one of the easiest repairs you can do on them...

if you hit a snag, post back.