MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #1  

Cobble

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 231
I have a MF 231 tractor. and sometimes the starter only clicks a single, solitary click when the key is turned over sometimes... After repeated attempts at turning the key, something will engage. and it cranks fine sometimes the attempts hit several dozen times, sometimes tunring the key will start the ignition the first time....

this "click" is different thatn a weak battery, which produces multiple repeated clicks and failure to start the engine. Anybody else ever have this problem?

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #2  
If I were you I'd have a look at the starter solenoid. To get a breakdown of the parts you can view the parts books online free at this address : http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/PartsBooksN/Viewer/Default.aspx? If it's not the solenoid it may need a rebuilt starter. My Allis Chalmers WD 45 was doing the same thing and needed the starter rebuilt. Had a local guy do it for $95. Hope this helps

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #3  
Sounds like a selenoid,bypass it and see if starter works fine.Good luck!

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #4  
I am have an old Farmall with a fuel solenoid valve that makes a single click every time the key is turned on. I notice it, because I have a push button starter. So for me it's turn the key, solenoid clicks, then push button to engage the starter.

I explained this as a possible cause of your click. I have no idea if your MF has a fuel solenoid or not. But if so it would click in the on position; just a guess but the ignition switch might not be making a connection in the start position.

They are pretty easy to test with a multimeter. I had to replace one the other day on a motorcycle. I tore it apart, and there was a broken tab that sometimes got carried to the start position and other times didn't.

Good luck.

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #5  
I had the same problem with a Cub Cadet 782D. The engine in this little thing is a Kubota diesel. I had the clicking problem for years. Eventually it would start but I might click for 10 times before it finally worked. Nothing I tried worked until I found the post at:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...40-b2400-starting-problem-finally-solved.html

I added the relay referenced in the post (John Deere part AM107421) and it hasn't missed a start yet. That was about 2 years ago. Don't know if this is the problem but it is worth looking at if nothing else works.

Ward

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #6  
Pull the starter off and clean and lube it. Could just be sticking.

/ MF starter - only a "single click" when the key is turned, sometimes #7  
My vote is a worn out solenoid. Sounds like the metal plates that make contact have worn and are no longer making good solid contact consistently and it causes junk to build up when it arcs. When it doesn't work and you turn the key multiple times, the junk is knocked off or it finally arcs through good enough to run the starter. I have experienced this on different types of vehicles. Replace the solenoid is my vote. Being the cheap skate that I am, I have been known to take a solenoid apart and flip the plates over or twist them 180 degrees and put it back together if it is a type I can do it on. Jon