Draw bar question

/ Draw bar question #1  

Clearingout

Tractor
1961 B414, Bolen's G14 and Club Cadet
We have a 1961 B414 International tractor. I was given a draw bar to use on the 3 point hitch for pulling a trailer around. When I fit the round part (ends) of the draw bar into hitch and pin it, the flat section of the draw bar rotates. I can back up to the trailer and raise the drawbar into the coupling but it doesn't seem to stay flat, it appears the ball is what holds this in position as I pull the trailer. Is this how this works?

We have only been using the tractor with the bush hog, and wood chipper to date and I thought this would allow us more freedom to use the tractor versus the pick up.

K&J

/ Draw bar question #2  
You can fab a piece of metal to connect to the drawbar and your top link and that would prevent it from turning.

/ Draw bar question #3  
Yes, that's normal, and as you found out, undesirable. You can find versions with an attachment point for the top link, which prevents the rotation. They are more expensive. Some people take the version you have and weld on arms for the top link themselves.

View attachment 279745

/ Draw bar question #4  
All drawbars of this style will do this. You can buy or make a stablizer that braces the bar from the top link. I have not used one but thave seen them.

/ Draw bar question #5  
There are two types of things you can use.

This one EMP Tractor Draw Bar Stabilizer for Category 1 Tractors, Model# 7350-1 | 3-Point Drawbars Stabilizers| Northern Tool + Equipment Bolts to the drawbar and uses the toplink. It accepts a 2" insert like you would use on a truck hitch. (reese hitch).

OR this one Drawbar Lock, Cat. 1 - 1000786 | Tractor Supply Company It goes over one end of the drawbar and around the lift arm to keep it from rotating.

Take your pick. But If you want to use YOUR drawbar with a ball, you need one of these two items or need to fab up something similar.

/ Draw bar question #6  
Bought one of those years ago...discovered what you have...never use it now.

I use the true drawbar with a trailer ball where one would hook up a plow. Lift the arms out of the way. You CAN stabilize your drawbar as indicated, but I found that to be a hassle.

/ Draw bar question
Thank you everyone for your help and feedback
, very much appreciated.

/ Draw bar question #8  
Tractor Supply has the stabilizer you need. Open link:

/ Draw bar question #10  
Why is it that no one makes a decent drawbar lock that fits the lift arm on a NH TC35. The one I got at NH supplier doesn't fit the arm, it's not wide enough or deep enough to fit across the arm.. They all seem to be designed for a flat arm not for adjustable length lift arms.