Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak

/ Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
My RCR1860 rotary cutter has a metal plug in the back of the gearbox, very similar to an oil seal but without the open center where the shaft would go through in a regular seal. Like a welch plug but thinner material. There must have been a crack in the rubber case or a scratch in the paint Land Pride put on, because over about 3 years time the plug rusted through enough for the gear oil to start to leak.

No idea what Land Pride would want for one of these, but if it's like anything else they sell it wouldn't be cheap. I called my local bearing/seal supply shop, gave them the Land Pride part number, which they cross referenced to a different supplier. Cost a whopping $4.50 ! Easy to pull the old one out, installed the new plug with a block of wood and a hammer. I think changing the gear lube was the priciest part of the job.

If you have a similar issue, it's worth your time and money to make a few calls. Delivery time was next day, as well.

Sean

/ Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak #3  
Sean glad it worked out well for YOU ! Thanks also 4 shareing info .
BTW : Can you please ask owner of ranch and Stables to post current horse pics when you can. Also have they done any good kicking or biteing wood lately ? ;)
Always good to hear from You.

Boone

/ Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak
Hey Boone.. I'll get you some fresh horse pics soon, I promise. No chewing lately, but I did get kicked in the knee a few months back helping to geld the stallion that's our youngest horses sire. Hobbled around for a few weeks, it's getting back to what passes for normal now. He wasn't trying to get me, just wanted to get up.

How's things in Florida?

Sean

/ Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak #5  
Hey Boone..
How's things in Florida?
Sean

Temps cooling down some from regular hellacious summers we get down here (heat and humidity). Also dodged a hurricane (sw-Fl):( . Been getting lots of rain. We at the end of I-75 exit 111 before it turns east across everglades towards Ft. Liquire-dale/Miami.

Boone

/ Land Pride RCR rotary cutter gearbox leak
I hear you.. I spent a week or two in Jacksonville (Mayport actually) a few years back, in late June. Never again, it was like getting smacked in the face with a warm wet towel when you walked outside in the morning.

Sean