Clutch problem(s)

/ Clutch problem(s) #1  

CBW1999

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D
Kubota B7510 Gear transmission. 8 Years old and just about 500 hours

Original issue: Slight gear grind when shifting with clutch depressed fully. :(

Action: Adjusted clutch linkage to within specs. In doing so, had to remove entire linkage to free up frozen adjusting nut. :mad:

Current issue(s): Slight gear grind remains, can now shift without using clutch. Tractor does NOT move when in gear AND clutch fully depressed. When PTO Lever ENGAGED-continues to spin when clutch depressed fully. Can engage PTO without using clutch. When PTO lever NOT engaged, PTO does NOT spin. :eek: :confused:

No odd associated sounds or smells. :confused2:

Yes, I know....... most likely.....I screwed the pooch somehow:laughing:

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

/ Clutch problem(s) #2  
1) Do you have a 1/4" free play in the clutch pedal as it is adjusted now
2) Does the clutch slip at all when pulling an implement with the clutch as it is adjusted now
3) Do you see any oil drips under the bell housing/clutch area on concrete
3a) if you Do see some oil drips AKA gear lube.You could have this getting on the trans input shaft and/or on the clutch lining In other words causing the gear grinding when putting the tractor in gear.

Barry

/ Clutch problem(s) #3  
I have not worked on a Kubota, but it is not hard to split a tractor. Just jack, support and remove. Sounds like you have a clutch/plate/throw out problem. I would split or it there is a inspection panel to see it there is any problems, before you start messing up main shafts. I like to fix as soon as possible instead of the run until it breaks theory, but that is just me

/ Clutch problem(s)
1) Do you have a 1/4" free play in the clutch pedal as it is adjusted now
2) Does the clutch slip at all when pulling an implement with the clutch as it is adjusted now
3) Do you see any oil drips under the bell housing/clutch area on concrete
3a) if you Do see some oil drips AKA gear lube.You could have this getting on the trans input shaft and/or on the clutch lining In other words causing the gear grinding when putting the tractor in gear.

Barry

Barry- I am going to measure and remeasure (again) today.
I wasn't having any slipping issues prior to adjusting- but am hesitant to try now although I don't think I can make it worse..
I will look closer for leaks but have not seen any evidence of active leaking. Anything present is dust/dirt covered and appears old
grease splatter.
Best i can do is place cardboard under the tractor overnight to detect drips and will follow up.

I have not worked on a Kubota, but it is not hard to split a tractor. Just jack, support and remove. Sounds like you have a clutch/plate/throw out problem. I would split or it there is a inspection panel to see it there is any problems, before you start messing up main shafts. I like to fix as soon as possible instead of the run until it breaks theory, but that is just me

I've "parked" the tractor for now while I try to figure this out. I'll check the manual to see if there is an inspection port. I have prepared myself for the realistic need to replace all the clutch components. I believe you that it isn't too hard to spit the tractor but- I am still skeptical of my personal ability.

I've brought "parts" to a repair shop when my efforts failed. I would hate to have to bring a tractor in 2 pieces (+) to fix my mistake!!

/ Clutch problem(s) #5  
CB believe me it isnt that bad I had to replace the clutch on my tractor and was a little bit intimidated. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had done it a lot and had him come over to watch. I fed him drinks and he told me what to do . I used a floor jack on the back and a cherry picker on the front. Pushed the back half back after we had it seperated. Funny thing is I never knew the tractor had a 2 stage clutch until I got the new one installed, the guy I bought it from had replaced it a year or 2 before I bought it and never adjusted it properly. It was a PITA to adjust as the inspection cover was not very big, and I had to make a wrench to get in and hold the adjustment while tightening the locking nut. I had everything done in about 10 hours. I wouldn't hesitate to split it again it was that simple. By the way 1 thing I ran into when reassembling was I couldnt get the tractor all the way back together. I had to spin the PTO shaft at the back at the tractor to get it lined up when turning it you could feel when you got it the 2 halves sucked right back together. Good luck I hope yours is not as expensive as mine was. :)