1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #1  

Shearie

Tractor
Caterpillar D3B
I was using my Cat D3B just pushing some light brush and the engine started sounding different and losing power. I stopped it and checked all fluid levels. All was good. Now when I crank it black smoke rolls out the stack and it doesn't have much power and doesn't sound normal. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #2  
When is the last time you cleaned or replaced the air filter?

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking
Last week. I have been cleaning the outer one but haven't replaced the inner filter. I checked it and it appeared to be pretty clean. Do you think that could be my trouble?

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #4  
Has it been a long time since you replaced filters? Black smoke and low power - first check is air restriction. Does your Cat have an air restriction indicator, mechanical or warning light? I started with the company in 1989 and all machines at that time were supposed to be equipped, but not all product groups followed corporate policy but the group most likely would have bee the TTT or Track Type Tractor group. However I have had times when the indicator was still in the yellow and the engine acted just like yours.

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #5  
Last week. I have been cleaning the outer one but haven't replaced the inner filter. I checked it and it appeared to be pretty clean. Do you think that could be my trouble?

You might try replacing the outer filter. Check the ducting to the intake manifoldand also from the outside to the airfilter for clogging or obstructions.

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #6  
You may also try to check the ducting for collapse, I have seen this and heard of this happining, though uncommon. I dont know about on cat dozers, but older John Deere tractors would have this happen sometimes,4840's/4850's LUTT

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #7  
does that have a turbo? If so I would be checking that

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking #8  
I assume your D3B has a 3204 engine. The trouble shooting guide says excessive black or gray smoke causes are:
- Not enough air for combustion- check air cleaner restrictions
- Bad fuel injection valves - install new fuel injection valves
- Wrong fuel injection timing - make adjustment to timing

The injector stuff requires a lot of specialized tooling to check. Timing - more difficult to understand how the timing would change except for a part failure. Hope you find something in the air intake system.

/ 1982 Caterpillar D3B losing engine power and smoking
I just went today and bought all new filters but the Cat dealer had to order one part. They said it might be the part they are ordering that is causing the problem so I have to wait and see about that. The air restriction indicator hasn't appeared to work since I have owned it (about 6 years). It has no warning lights at all. I cleaned everything I know to clean, pressure washed the engine compartment, radiator, scooped out all the gunk I could get out from under the engine, etc. I changed the final fuel filter and checked the breather, breather hose, ordered the part that my book says is a primary fuel element but the dealer says it isn't called that. I will pick up part tomorrow and try it again.
I appreciate any advice. I am learning as I go. Thanks