John Deere L 130 transmission problem

/ John Deere L 130 transmission problem #1  

gmacthree

Tractor
John Deere L 130
Any help would be appreciated: worked on a lot of different mechanics before but never on my lawn tractors tranny.
I have an automatic hydrostatic tranny. The tranny was not working smoothly and started to make noise. The belt needed to be changed and after I put it in -it still made noise. When I looked at the pullley at the transmission, it has a plastic fan attached to it, that fan is hitting the new belt. Itwas probably hitting the old belt as well. Why is THATand how do I fix the problem. Thanks

/ John Deere L 130 transmission problem #2  
Is the belt under the guide, or is the guide bent?

Attachments

• MP38677________UN13SEP06.gif
    MP38677________UN13SEP06.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 3,480
   / John Deere L 130 transmission problem
No to both the belt is riding on the pulley

/ John Deere L 130 transmission problem #4  
Is it hitting while the engine is running?
There is only one belt from JD that fits PN: GX20006 if it is routed correctly the belt will have a little slack when the brake is pushed/or locked down which may hit the fan but it won't be turning at that point.

Back to trans problem what noise, these transaxles are known for problems if there is no grinding gear noise it may benefit from an oil change. I did both of mine they work fine now, one is over 500 hours. Here is a link to a great thread lots of reading but should answer most of your questions.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

/ John Deere L 130 transmission problem
I believe the only noise is the fin and belt noise. Not sure though. The belt is hitting the fans when in forward or reverse. Im not moving the tractor more than a foot in fear of breaking the new belt.The plastic fan fins are definitely bent. Why I don't know. The fan is still attached to the pulley and not loose or broken. From reading the forums on these transmissions I realize that they are not a good design. Maybe the old belt stretched and interfered with the fan and bent the fins and now the new belt is just hitting them. What is the purpose of the fan? Is it for cooling the tranny? My next move is to cut the fan blades off and see if it moves. If I do that what is the name of this part and where can I buy a new one. Thanks

/ John Deere L 130 transmission problem #6  
The fan helps cool the transaxle if your trans axle overheated the fins can soften enough to droopbut the noise will be constant. The fan will be spinning as soon as you let your foot off the brake when the engine is running. If the noise is only when you press the forward or reverser pedal I would look at some linkage hitting the fan or maybe the gears inside are damaged.