older mitsubishi R1500

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #1  

kingkong

Tractor
mitsubishi
I have a R1500 garden tractor with a one cyl. diesel engine. i need a head gasket because the intake valve is starting to leak. where can i find engine parts or am i out of luck.

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #2  
I would start by going to Satohparts.com and contacting them. That is a really old and somewhat rare unit, so parts are going to be hard to find.

/ older mitsubishi R1500
Thank you ThomasH. That gives me a start where to look. I am a retired auto. mechanic and have always wanted to restore a tractor. this tractor is in perfect shape has original tires that have no wear or cracks. most of its life was pulling a cart out of a building with a pump on it so a helicopter could take it away for forestry work, or moving helicopters in and out of the hanger. It was kept inside most of its life.

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #4  
Have same tractor,i had gasket custom made out of copper,seems to work

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #5  
Do you have any pictures,mine is a basket case trying to restore. Or im looking for manuel have lots of quetions

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #6  
me to i have r1500 and i cant find any info on it mine needs wiring work and no luck finding any thing on it and cant find a brush hog for it.

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #7  
Parts Manual - MITS. R1500 sells a parts manual..... Parts diagrams can be very useful and probably the only thing you'll be able to find on a model that old/unique. You may know already but it uses the SDT75 engine which may be of help on net searches for parts, diagrams, etc.

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #8  
Knowing that the gasket is probably impossible to locate I'd probably try to fashion one from dead soft aluminum or thin copper.

Then again if you can be so lucky sometimes a head gasket will come free without any prying and if so can probably be reused as it is already shaped to fit all the minute crevices that it was designed to do in the first place. If you must re use, a light coating of hi temp silicone liquid gasket painted on both sides should seal any minute fissures that might be present.
I more than once have salvaged many gaskets as long as they are not stuck to the point of needing to be scraped free.
Most times I like to smear grease on both faces B4 installing making removal easier. (old trick taught me by an uncle mechanic)

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #9  
I have wiring diagram for R 1500 one-cylinder diesel. Be happy to send copy

/ older mitsubishi R1500 #10  
We used to spray silver metallic spray (rattle can) paint on head gaskets, but that was for gassers, not diesels, YMMV.
Jim