My engine just overheated...

/ My engine just overheated... #1  

JustBob

Tractor
2005 New Holland TT55
I just added a bottle of anti chatter to the hydraulic fluid and was letting it run to mix the fluid. It idled for a while and when i went to move it, I noticed steam coming out of the bottom rad hose. Shut it off and checked the block temp with an IR temp gun, it maxxed at 230F. The temp gauge was pegged in the red, and I have no idea how long it ran like this. I found the water pump belt had broke, no binding so belt must have been bad. Do you guys think I am ok, I have no idea how the 230F outside temp correlates to the internal temp of a diesel engine.

/ My engine just overheated... #2  
The internal temps rise after the hot engine is shut down. In your case the only thing to do is replace the belt, then keep a close eye out for oil in the water or vice-versa, which would indicate a cracked head/block. And watch for steam/antifreeze smell coming out of the exhaust.

I wish you the best of luck.

/ My engine just overheated... #3  
I'd change the engine oil, in addition to watching for the things Don87 mentioned.

/ My engine just overheated...
Picking up a belt and and some oil in the morning, hopefully no damage. It was 1/2 gallon low on coolant, topped it off after it cooled down. I hate that I had just changed the oil and have less than 2 hours running time on it since then. :(

/ My engine just overheated...
Well with the new belt installed all seems to be ok, runs great, no water in oil or coming out of exhaust. Used it some today and the anti chatter seems to be working as well, turned out to be a great day after all!