John Deere 1010 PTO problems

/ John Deere 1010 PTO problems #1  

cartwrightdan

Tractor
John Deere 1010 (1962)
Hi there, I`m new to this fourm and this is my first post. I recently bought a 1962 John Deere 1010 RU. Engine runs great, and the PTO is live. However, when I hook my bush hog (5 ft Bush hog SQ160) up to it, it will spin the blades, but when I get into long grass the pto stops working. I feel there is a lack of power to the PTO, but have no idea as to how to approach the problem. I have tried increasing the throttle, and various PTO lever positions. This is my first tractor, so I`m on a bit of a learning curve. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

/ John Deere 1010 PTO problems #2  
Is the PTO on the tractor stopping? Or is the slip clutch on the Bush Hog set so loose that it is slipping?

/ John Deere 1010 PTO problems
Is the PTO on the tractor stopping? Or is the slip clutch on the Bush Hog set so loose that it is slipping?

It's the PTO on the tractor that stops. The slip clutch is tight. I am just not sure what the problem is, or how I would approach trying to adjust the PTO.
Thanks,
Dan

/ John Deere 1010 PTO problems #4  
Hi there, I`m new to this fourm and this is my first post. I recently bought a 1962 John Deere 1010 RU. Engine runs great, and the PTO is live. However, when I hook my bush hog (5 ft Bush hog SQ160) up to it, it will spin the blades, but when I get into long grass the pto stops working. I feel there is a lack of power to the PTO, but have no idea as to how to approach the problem. I have tried increasing the throttle, and various PTO lever positions. This is my first tractor, so I`m on a bit of a learning curve. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

There is a local mechanic in your area that loves to work on tractors, he is knowledgeable and honest and does not over charge his customers, he is heading out west for greener pastures but if you catch him in time I think he can help, I hope this info was helpful. ps you need more chickens.

/ John Deere 1010 PTO problems #5  
What's the serial number of the tractor? Here's a parts photo of the pto clutch linkage with 540/1000 rpm pto below <SN 42,000

Attachments

• T4887__________UN01JAN94.gif
    T4887__________UN01JAN94.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 662