Tractor
    John Deere 1010 (1962)

Default John Deere 1010 PTO problems

Hi there, I`m new to this fourm and this is my first post. I recently bought a 1962 John Deere 1010 RU. Engine runs great, and the PTO is live. However, when I hook my bush hog (5 ft Bush hog SQ160) up to it, it will spin the blades, but when I get into long grass the pto stops working. I feel there is a lack of power to the PTO, but have no idea as to how to approach the problem. I have tried increasing the throttle, and various PTO lever positions. This is my first tractor, so I`m on a bit of a learning curve. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: John Deere 1010 PTO problems

Is the PTO on the tractor stopping? Or is the slip clutch on the Bush Hog set so loose that it is slipping?
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    John Deere 1010 (1962)

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Is the PTO on the tractor stopping? Or is the slip clutch on the Bush Hog set so loose that it is slipping?
    It's the PTO on the tractor that stops. The slip clutch is tight. I am just not sure what the problem is, or how I would approach trying to adjust the PTO.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Tractor
    Ford 3600 Massy Ponny

Quote Originally Posted by cartwrightdan View Post
    Hi there, I`m new to this fourm and this is my first post. I recently bought a 1962 John Deere 1010 RU. Engine runs great, and the PTO is live. However, when I hook my bush hog (5 ft Bush hog SQ160) up to it, it will spin the blades, but when I get into long grass the pto stops working. I feel there is a lack of power to the PTO, but have no idea as to how to approach the problem. I have tried increasing the throttle, and various PTO lever positions. This is my first tractor, so I`m on a bit of a learning curve. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    There is a local mechanic in your area that loves to work on tractors, he is knowledgeable and honest and does not over charge his customers, he is heading out west for greener pastures but if you catch him in time I think he can help, I hope this info was helpful. ps you need more chickens.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

What's the serial number of the tractor? Here's a parts photo of the pto clutch linkage with 540/1000 rpm pto below <SN 42,000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -t4887__________un01jan94-gif