Farmall super a loud noise

/ Farmall super a loud noise #1  

FARMALLSUPERA

Tractor
Farmall super a's
hello, im new here and really need some help. my super a runs good and everything but if you put the clutch in it will grind going into gear and when you let the clutch out it will make a loud whining noise. if you go downhill the noise will go away but if you go up hill or just flat surface it makes a really loud noise. i adjusted the clutch and it still does it. my dad says he thinks its probably the clutch release bearing does that sound right?

/ Farmall super a loud noise #2  
Mite want to check the transmission fluid levels, low oil or a bad gear or bearing.

/ Farmall super a loud noise
i just rebuilt the left hand side axle housing because i thought that was the noise, i had the shifting linkage plate off and flushed the whole thing out with diesel and put new 80-w90 in the rear end.

/ Farmall super a loud noise #4  
Might want to check the oil you drained out of the trans., if you happen to still have it. Look for particles of metal, ball bearing etc.

Does it do it just sitting in neutral.., clutch out..??

Almost sounds like maybe the input shaft bearing, if it only does it on the flat, or uphill. Going downhill may take the load off enough to not do it. There is a snap ring, thst holds that bearing in place on the input shaft. If it real bad, I'd think the front trans seal would be leaking. That is a ball bearing, and if part of the cage is broken, it may have a tendency to squall bit, when under load.

I'd check the drained oil for pieces/parts... If it was a clean bucket or pan you started with, one of those wand magnets should pick up anything in there, or strain through some sort of cloth.

well there was a little piece of steel about half inch long 1/8 wide that came out of the transmission. and is the input bearing the one that is right up where you adjust the clutch? and no it does not make the noise when the clutch is out tractor.jpg

/ Farmall super a loud noise #6  
Click on image below to enlarge it. #25 is the input shaft bearing in the trans. This would be located inside the transmision on the main input shaft. If you could get a clear, up close picture of the piece, may help determine just what it is.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from..?? Clutch housing, near the clutch itself.., or more near the transmission..??

Super A Trans..gif

/ Farmall super a loud noise #7  
All the Farmall A's thru the 140 whine as the trans/diff gears are straight cut...I've got '74 140 that whines as well, ...now as far as the grinding you may be having a problem if the clutch adjust ment is all the way out/in (whichever it is)..ie...the most adjustment so gears stop...try double clutching...sometimes it works..also check your PTO..in neutral, put clutch in activate the PTO...does it grind?? if so the input shaft is probably still turning..BobG in VA

yes, i've double clutched it and played with the adjuster and the shaft still turns. i think im going to split the tractor replace the input shaft bearing and the thrust bearing. its not a whine its more of a like grind i can tell its a bearing by the sound of it

does anyone have a site i could order the input shaft bearing from? its probably cheaper than going to my case/ih dealer

/ Farmall super a loud noise #10  
Determine what the exact problem is before ordering parts..!! Don't want you to spend money for items not needed... I'm just diagnosing through your description, and using the S.W.A.G. system... If you don't know what that is, ask your Dad... I'm sure he knows... :)

The grinding of trans gears could very well be something to do with the release bearing, and/or the pressure plate. If any of the holes in the torque tube (clutch housing) are open, small varmints such as Chipmunks, mice etc. seem to love to build nests in the clutch/ pressure plate area. Several years ago I removed literally more than several yards of string, nut hulls, etc from the clutch housing, on my 310B Case backhoe.. All that was keeping the pressure plate from fully releasing the clutch disc. Could be a broken spring in the pressure plate, a release finger worn bad, or completely through, and grinding on the release bearing. Possibly cocking the bearing, and making a grinding noise. But, that does not explain why there is no whining noise when going down hill.

The IH part number is ST246 for that input shaft bearing. Crossed it through NAPA, and the universal part number is 6206NRJ.

Checked Messicks online store, and through them the bearing is $37.55. Should be that price at your local Case/IH dealer. NAPA $38, and some change. I checked a place where I usually get NOS Timken bearings, and they want $53 and some change. Ran the number on epay, and showed 3. From about the above prices, and up.

Sometimes the dealer is the most reasonable. That bearing is used in a lot of older IH tranny's.

Keep us posted..!!