Woods Mow'n Machine needs a new engine. What are my easy options?

/ Woods Mow'n Machine needs a new engine. What are my easy options? #1  

MrWhippy

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1710, Ford 5600, NH Workmaster 55
This is a 5120 Mow'n Machine. It's pretty old. We've had it 5 years and it was bought used. It currently has a B&S Vanguard 12.5 hp engine. I don't really have time to rebuild this fall/winter and would like a drop in solution, but the 12.5 Vanguard isn't available anymore. It is horizontal shaft and runs a 2 pulley system, so I'm assuming it's a keyed shaft.

What are my options (non-Briggs and Stratton included)? Do the larger Briggs and Stratton Vanguard motors have the same basic footprint?

/ Woods Mow'n Machine needs a new engine. What are my easy options? #2  
I've had great luck with the Chi/Hondas from Harbor Freight, etc so far. I'm not sure if the mounting bolt pattern is the same as the Vangaurd but you should be able to look at HF and get a manual with all the dimensions in it.

Mark

/ Woods Mow'n Machine needs a new engine. What are my easy options? #3  
The " easiest" thing might be to go with a 14 HP Vanguard repower engine for a 5140 from someone like Smallenginewarehouse.com. I'm sure Briggs' website has dimension specs for each engine model for reference but regardless you will probably run into some modification whether it's wiring or adapting for physical size. Google "Woods 5120 repower" and Woods mower repower" and see what your options are.