case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement

/ case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement #1  

williampz

Tractor
Case 580CK
What kind of tools are needed for replacing a leaking seal on Case 580CK Backhoe Boom Cylinder?

Information will alo be appreciated on how to remove the leaking Cylinder Seal.

Thanks,
Bill

/ case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement #2  
Place the boom in a safe position, (most of the way down, but not all the way, and where it cannot possibly fall)
Bleed off the hydraulic pressure. (wiggle the controls with the engine off)
Remove hydraulic hoses from the cylinder.
Remove upper and lower pivot pins.
Remove gland from upper end of cylinder. (it unscrews, right-hand threads) You will need a spanner wrench, like this: spanner wrench
Remove gland and piston rod assembly from cylinder housing.
Remove large nut from end of piston rod. (this may require a 1" impact air wrench)
Replace inner and outer seals and rings on piston, as well as the seal and rings in the gland.
Reassemble in reverse order.
Note: Lubricate all seal/ring surfaces before reassembly. Place tape over threads to keep from damaging new seals/rings. Remember to remove tape before screwing parts back together. ;)

/ case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement #3  
After I posted, I looked back up and saw that was your first post. :welcome:

/ case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement #4  
Also helps to have strong buddy to help hold/lift the parts, AND a couple cases of Bud Light will ease the mashed fingers!!!LOL!!--- just be careful around them suckers,-- they will gittcha if they git a chance!!!---How do I know?--- been there--- done it! thanks; sonny 580

/ case 580ck backhoe boom cylinder seal replacement #5  
I like to leave the pins in while I loosen the gland nut on the end of the cylinder. I've never had luck with spanner wrenches, a 3 foot or 4 foot pipe wrench is always my fall back that works. On my 580k there's a small screw that holds the gland nut in place. The nut tightens up until two half circles meet and then the screw goes into the hole. When loosening and tightening the bolt at the end of the rod you can put it back on the tractor with the pin unless you have access to a large vise to hold the rod. Be careful not to damage the chrome finish.