HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
if you have followed my thread on how not to fix a tire you already know that the "FUN" never stops around my place.

I had run out of propane and took take to get filled.
Got propane hooked up. Little problems, copper tubing to tank needs to be replaced, the fitting on the end is broken up. Though it was leaking, re-did it a couple of times. Nope, the shut off valve on the tank was leaking. Got that stopped by turning it open real tight.

Right front tire on truck looked low. Sure enough only 15 pounds. While waiting for compressor to make air, time to fix turn signal. Pain in the butt. Put in both new bulbs, signal will not blink. Switch them back & forth. Nope not work. Put in old bulb, works just fine. Mess around some more, finally just leave old bulb in.

Air up right front tire, while I'm at it check them all. Both back tires are low and so is the left front. Minor problem, can't get high pressure air out of a hose not connected to compressor. I had ask my grandson to check them bout a week ago & though he had done it. Guess he forgot.

Things are going pretty well. Lets fix inside door handle. In the back of my mind is, your going to fix it so neither handle works. Naw never happen.
With some difficulty and about 1/2 hour have the inside door cover off, hanging by the wires. Pull rod from inside handle is real low, way be low the opening in the door. Lets take latch out, waste of time, no help at all. Now I remember bend the wire that pulls on the latch, Done this a few years ago. Naturally the inside handle breaks off. OK can still open door from outside. Wrong again, now outside handle don't work. Called my mechanic & friend, he has a parts truck and can fix things. But leaving on a fishing trip, co maybe Monday or Tuesday. Going to be fun the next few days, getting in passenger door and crawling over. Even more fun getting out.

One more little bit of cheer, windows will not go up or down. 1 mostly open other closed.

Time for a beer break, enough fun for 1 day. :cool2::drink:

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #2  
It's just this kind of experience that makes me try to avoid any increase in complexity in the products I buy.
First question is can I do routine service myself?
Second is can I repair it if it needs fixin'?
Enjoy the beer, Crash, and I hope your friend can get the door working right.

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #3  
Sounds like a typical day at my house actually!

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK
It's just this kind of experience that makes me try to avoid any increase in complexity in the products I buy.
First question is can I do routine service myself?
Second is can I repair it if it needs fixin'?
Enjoy the beer, Crash, and I hope your friend can get the door working right.

I really had to go to town yesterday. Went out 2 hours early too see what could be done.
Saws All - just the ticket. seems to be just enough room to get at that special bolt that latches the door shut. Sorta seems to be working. Bang, blade bent,
straighten a little try again. Bang - Blade breaks. Wasn't bad got it dug out.

Just for fun lets try the handle. Dang Me the door popped right open. Why???? Have no real idea. Trip the latch a few times to see if it will keep working. One thing looks bent, nope made that way. A step on the latch tries to hang up on that hunk of metal. A little grinding and all seems well. Wow - I can pull on the inside rod and it works. Spray a bunch of lube in there, works even better.

Sort of stick inside panel back in place. Why?? Even the windows are working again. Put small pair of Vice Grips on inside rod, now I have a handle.

Pat self on back and off to town even about 10 minuets early. Soon Vice Grips shake off and fall down inside door. Everything still works. Me Happy.

Today I'm not going to fix (a you can tell I use that word pretty loosely) anything, not even anything to eat.:laughing:

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #5  
Sounds like you dug yourself out of a hole pretty well.
And avoided calling in a solid from your friend.
That's my idea of success.

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #6  
You should set out to break your truck. That way either your successful and really do break it or you fix it and learn to live with a fixed truck but no sense of accomplishment.

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #7  
I always say the hard part of doing something is knowing when to stop...now, not after just one more thing!

Yesterday I said I would not fix anything, truck, tires. tractor or compressor.

Today not taking any chances.

I repaired myself a breakfast. may or may not repair some lunch or dinner.

Still not taking chances on fixing things. :D:dance1:

/ HOW NOT 2 FIX YOUR TRUCK #9  
Yesterday I said I would not fix anything, truck, tires. tractor or compressor.

Today not taking any chances.

I repaired myself a breakfast. may or may not repair some lunch or dinner.

Still not taking chances on fixing things. :D:dance1:
Next message ain't gonna be from the ER........getting stomach pumped is it?:shocked:

P.S. I couldn't resist:)

Next message ain't gonna be from the ER........getting stomach pumped is it?:shocked:

P.S. I couldn't resist:)

Not fixing anything is going so well. I'm Repairing some Corned Beef & cabbage. Missing some carrots. but got onions. Will look around and see what else I can toss in there. :D:dance1: