Bush hog drive shaft

/ Bush hog drive shaft #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
Drive shaft on a bush hog I bought used was replaced by the previous owner. ( I was the previous owner to the previous owner, lol). Anyway, the driveshaft is getting sticky, not wanting to extend/retract. (lack of grease, no doubt). I was going to bush hog one time prior to putting it up for the winter, and the coupler/u-joint piece came loose from the 3 sided shaft. There is a small hole in the cast coupler and a matching hole in the 3 sided shaft, but both are way too small for a shear pin. (something about like 1/8" dia).
My question is, what is the correct way to connect the cast steel coupler to the 3 sided shaft? Apparently the previous owner only used the small hole with some sort of pin because there isn't a weld mark on either.
Anyone know the right way?
David from jax

/ Bush hog drive shaft #2  
i see them roll pin coupled..

lean that shaft in some solvent ( diesel? ) and grease it then put shield back on and yoke end..e tc..

/ Bush hog drive shaft
First, thanks for the quick response,
Since I don't have the roll pin in a correct size, would it hurt to weld the end to the 3 sided shaft? As far as greasing it, if I can weld the end on (if that is an acceptable alternative), then I will just unhook the bush hog and ease forward with the driveshaft still coupled, putting a very slight strain on it. If that option of removal gives any sort of resistance, then a small cable thru it like a comalong will probably get it loose.
David from jax

/ Bush hog drive shaft #4  
i'm sure you COULD weld it. i see some welded.

I'd find a snug bolt before I welded it.

welding it makes it a lil more permanent.

/ Bush hog drive shaft
Small bolt... hmmm, yeah that could work. I was thinking (wrongly) that the pin would simply shear, since it is quite a bit smaller than the shear pin at the other end... but duhhh, it would be hard to twist the shaft since it is three sided, not round like the other end. Thanks for turning on the light switch, lol!!!
David from jax

/ Bush hog drive shaft #6  
yep if that 3 sides shaft shears the holding device. you have many other issues.. :)

/ Bush hog drive shaft #7  
I've used nails as temporary fixes for things like that also.

/ Bush hog drive shaft #8  
i have a mower that bailing wire or a piece of fence wire worked for a couple years on.. ;) all it has to do is keep the shaft in t he yoke.. :)

/ Bush hog drive shaft #9  
Look closer, that shaft and coupler should be held together with a 3/8" diameter roll pin.

As far as the two shafts I agree with cleaning and lubricating them but I prefer a dry lubricant over grease. Grease attracts too much dirt in my opinion.

Brian

/ Bush hog drive shaft #10  
Just get a correct roll pin for pennies and fix it right. The drive shaft is made so that it can be retubed if it gets bent. The first sign of a bent tube is difficulty extending and retracting. If you try to force it, you shear the roll pin in the yoke. Sounds like we're on to something here....