66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #1  

Badbrad59

Tractor
John Deere 2240; Ford/9N
Hey y'all! Is there any way to check a voltage regulator to see if it is good or not? I have a 66 Ford 3000 diesel and the previous owner has by-passed the voltage regulator and none of the instruments work and I'm thinking that could be the culprit? Y'all got any advice? Or should I just go ahead and buy a $25.00 regulator! Lol!

Thanks!
Brad

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #2  
Why would they bypass the regulator?? If they did that, it either means that the battery isnt charging, or can be overcharging and potentially explode. Not good.

Personally, I would just drop the $25 for peice of mind. I dont remember exactally how to test them, but if it is working properly....it sould be buzzing/humming

Soundguy is about an expert on these. I am sure he will be along shortly.

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #3  
can you describe what you mean with the regulator was by passed what did they do to accomplish this. your tractor should have come with a lucas generator with 6 terminal hook ups 2 which were b+ hook ups the rest are battery field and generator hook ups. by some chance has it been converted to the alternator type set up. if it still generator it should have a tach drive worm gear coming out of back

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #4  
regulator.. or stabalizer?

and hows the fuse inthe wire harness to the cluster?

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator
It still has the generator system. Not sure about the fuse? I'm going to get into it soon. Haven't been able to play around with my tractor as of late due to some personal issues. As soon as I get the personal stuff under control I'll be back on the tractor! And the votage regulator/instrument cluster is on the top of my list! Guys, I can't thank y'all enough for the wise counsel and advice!

Thanks and God bless!
Brad

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #6  
again.. stabilizer or regulator.. makes a big difference....

Don't know Soundguy? I'll have to look at the part and see if I can read anything on it.

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #8  
forget that.. just see how it's hooekd up.. vstab is for the cluster.. vreg is for the genny.

2 completely different parts different jobs.. cause different issues...

This is what it looks like. 419hzL+rAWL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

/ 66 Ford 3000 Voltage Regulator #10  
never mind.. you didn't read any of my replies obviously...