Dufus kills the battery of his IH B275 - How to remove the batteries

/ Dufus kills the battery of his IH B275 - How to remove the batteries #1  

Steve Roberge

Tractor
1967 IHB275 Diesel
Just picked up my 1967 B275 international Harvester, my first tractor ever! I wheeled around the acreage, tested the snowblower and moved some rocks around with the loader. Turned it off and a day later was reminded that the key needs to be in the off position!! Batteries are dead. I've ordered a manual, its a few weeks away. In the interim I wanna charge the batteries and it seems I need to remove the hood to do so. Can I assume I have to remove the exhaust muffler and pre filter to do such a routine thing as charging the batteries? Gonna change my "handle" to Novice Dufus in New Brunswick! Thanks for reading, Steve

/ Dufus kills the battery of his IH B275 - How to remove the batteries #2  
Assuming it is a 12 volt system, try following the positive cable to the starter solenoid. Not sure your tractor is arranged this way but if it is, hook up the charger there and find a good ground nearby and you should be able to charge the battery. Of course, be careful which side of the solenoid you clamp to!

/ Dufus kills the battery of his IH B275 - How to remove the batteries #3  
i agree.. somewhere that battery hits a solenoid or manual start switch... that's access to bat hot. rest of the tracfor is chassis ground. as indicated.. chose the non starter side of the solenoid / start switch!

that's all you need.

/ Dufus kills the battery of his IH B275 - How to remove the batteries #6  
Thanks gents. The solenoid suggestion worked well. Cheers.
Steve

I've been having to boost/charge the battery on my old Oliver from time to time. The accessibility factor on it is similar to what you described. So my advice came directly from my own experiences. Happy tractoring!