Loader bucket wear fix or not?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #11  
Well right or wrong, here is what I do. I would weld a couple of beads around the base of the lower pins. This will prevent the adapter from moving forward quite as much, and the lynch pin will have less slop between itself and the back of the adapter bracket. I would also make sure the pins have not worn thin. Get some new ones to be sure. Weld some beads on the inside of the top upside down J brackets on the bucket on the bucket side. This will make the top adapter clearance between the bracket and the top tube that goes into this bracket less, and take up any slop.. Of course if you put too much bead, that is what they make grinders for. So for 10 minutes of welding, your slop problem is gone.. if it comes back as the welds wear down then break out the welder and grinder, and have at it again. Problem solved for couple bucks rod and electricity.

James K0UA
Thanks, I'm not all that familiar with JD, but it does look like he has too much slop for comfort.

Last edited:
   / Loader bucket wear fix or not? #12  
On pic 3, I'm not sure how much play should be there, but the gap seems awfully big.........that holds the top or your bucket to the QA.

It does seem like a lot of clearance doesn't? I would think it would fit tighter, some grease on the adapter once in a while would help a bit on wear.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not?
Well right or wrong, here is what I do. I would weld a couple of beads around the base of the lower pins. This will prevent the adapter from moving forward quite as much, and the lynch pin will have less slop between itself and the back of the adapter bracket. I would also make sure the pins have not worn thin. Get some new ones to be sure. Weld some beads on the inside of the top upside down J brackets on the bucket on the bucket side. This will make the top adapter clearance between the bracket and the top tube that goes into this bracket less, and take up any slop.. Of course if you put too much bead, that is what they make grinders for. So for 10 minutes of welding, your slop problem is gone.. if it comes back as the welds wear down then break out the welder and grinder, and have at it again. Problem solved for couple bucks rod and electricity.

James K0UA

Before I do this, I have to investigate a bit more.

You have the QA bucket. on the first 2 pics, if you remove the silver pin, then tilt your bucket a smidge, and lower your loader arms, the bucket will come right off.

On pic 3, I'm not sure how much play should be there, but the gap seems awfully big.........that holds the top or your bucket to the QA.

Just went outside and measured. .225 of an inch (and gotta say, just about yacked, as I was bending over, I inhailed a small bug down wind pipe.....still coughing and waterery eyes,lol)

Thanks, I'm not all that familiar with JD, but it does look like he has too much slop for comfort.

....this is why I ask, cause it's getting a little to much for my comfort ;)

It does seem like a lot of clearance doesn't? I would think it would fit tighter, some grease on the adapter once in a while would help a bit on wear.[/QUOTE]

it used to fit alot tighter.

......oh ya, lynch pins that's what they are called....lol....I knew that :)

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #14  
I am surprised at how much slop there is under the bucket hooks.Makes me wonder if they got bent somehow, just don't know how you could bend them s long as the bottom lynch pin is in place on the bucket. I have over 4000 hrs on my tractor (JD4300) split between the bucket and a couple of different sets of forks/lifting brackets. Lot of digging and rock work, but only half the slop that you have. I have the steel, rather than the newer cast brackets and mine have bent a bit as well.
I can't see how you could have your bucket come unhooked the way the other style (SkidSteer) does but if you like, you could try to bend those hooks back down with a big hammer. If you fill the space with weld, you might also harden them and make them brittle....

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #15  
I am surprised at how much slop there is under the bucket hooks.Makes me wonder if they got bent somehow, just don't know how you could bend them s long as the bottom lynch pin is in place on the bucket. I have over 4000 hrs on my tractor (JD4300) split between the bucket and a couple of different sets of forks/lifting brackets. Lot of digging and rock work, but only half the slop that you have. I have the steel, rather than the newer cast brackets and mine have bent a bit as well.
I can't see how you could have your bucket come unhooked the way the other style (SkidSteer) does but if you like, you could try to bend those hooks back down with a big hammer. If you fill the space with weld, you might also harden them and make them brittle....
Thanks for stopping by. I'm not that familiar with JD stuff, but, I knew the amount of slop appeared excessive.

I remembered seeing a couple threads on here about QA's coming apart, but couldn't remember the brand, nor could I find the threads.

Yes.....brittle...that's what i would think would happen too.

I think what i need to do is go to a JD dealer and get some measurement of the hook and the bar the hook goes over and see from there i guess?

I thank everyone greatly so far in helping me with this issue

Im going to look and or study the whole attachment really good tomorrow since i worked today.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #17  
Yes.....brittle...that's what i would think would happen too.

I think what i need to do is go to a JD dealer and get some measurement of the hook and the bar the hook goes over and see from there i guess?

I thank everyone greatly so far in helping me with this issue

Im going to look and or study the whole attachment really good tomorrow since i worked today.
Your welcome. And yes, that would be a great idea to go to the dealer with a rule and check some measurements.

Good Luck, and keep us informed.

Your welcome. And yes, that would be a great idea to go to the dealer with a rule and check some measurements.

Good Luck, and keep us informed.

It maybe a few days, or into nest week, but I will update when I check at dealer.

...in the mean time, I'll check back here to see if anyone else has jumped in with any suggestions.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #19  
Thanks for keeping us informed.

I will be going to JD Dealer tomorrow morning (Tuesday)....got to buy some dash bulbs....so while I'm there, going to ask and measure new bucket, etc.,

but, will post what I come up with :)