Front tires not holding air

/ Front tires not holding air #21  
   / Front tires not holding air #23  
Well, I took one of the suggestions from this thread and I saved myself the trouble of taking the wheel off the tractor. I just grabbed a big Rubbermaid tote that I have laying around and raised up the tractor's front end with the loader, then put the tote underneath the wheel and lowered the tractor's wheel down into it. I filled the tote with water until it covered the bead and then turned the wheel by hand until I found the leak. Sure enough, it was tiny and invisible, but I found it and patched it. Ultimately, given the location of the hole, I could have just poured water gently into the tread and it would have held enough water to find the leak. This is something that folks might consider as a first step, before they start pulling tires off the tractor or going to greater lengths. Yeah, I know the "paint soapy water onto it" trick is supposed to work, but I have often had it fail to find a leak that submersion later found. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Josh, I wish I could use that trick of lifting the front tires using the loader on my tractor to put a tub underneath but mine will only lift the front tires about 3 inches at most and there isn't any tub I can find that will fit yet still be deep enough to submerge the tire bead. I wonder if there might be a market for something like a mini kiddie pool you could drive on and then inflate with air then fill with water....would be handy for use on a vehicle so you wouldn't have to jack them up. :laughing:

/ Front tires not holding air
Josh, I wish I could use that trick of lifting the front tires using the loader on my tractor to put a tub underneath but mine will only lift the front tires about 3 inches at most and there isn't any tub I can find that will fit yet still be deep enough to submerge the tire bead.

This may be a dumb suggestion, but I'll make it anyway. I only recently just discovered that I can lift my front end much further into the air if I take the parking brake off. Most of the time when I'm trying to raise the front end, I'm parked, so the brake is on, you see. And when the front wheels try to go up, the rear wheels need to roll forward, which they can't do if the brake is on. The loader should really have enough strength to raise the front end up further than that. Could that be your issue?

/ Front tires not holding air #25  
This may be a dumb suggestion, but I'll make it anyway. I only recently just discovered that I can lift my front end much further into the air if I take the parking brake off. Most of the time when I'm trying to raise the front end, I'm parked, so the brake is on, you see. And when the front wheels try to go up, the rear wheels need to roll forward, which they can't do if the brake is on. The loader should really have enough strength to raise the front end up further than that. Could that be your issue?

Joshua, it is funny how everyone finds out that little thing by themselves.. I remember when I figured that out.. it was like...DUH!:duh:
It was a revelation for me... I am glad I am not the only one!

Also point the lip of the bucket straight down so it is closer to the "pins" and you have more lift force and more length of bucket to press down with as you will have to raise the loader arms to start with.

James K0UA

/ Front tires not holding air #26  

NOT a dumb suggestion at all....thank you for sharing it with us. But I never use the parking or service brakes when I try to lift the front end using the loader....no doubt others will really appreciate your advice.

Also point the lip of the bucket straight down so it is closer to the "pins" and you have more lift force and more length of bucket to press down with as you will have to raise the loader arms to start with.

It's true, although that also causes the lip to dig in, of course, which sometimes I don't want.

Well, I got around to checking the other front tire today using the same method. Couldn't find a leak at all, neither on the tread nor on the bead. I couldn't get the valve underwater, but I globbed some spit on it and it didn't blow any bubbles. So I'm at a bit of a loss there. This tire is definitely a slower leak. In the same time the other tire got from 50 psi down to 20 or even less, this tire only goes down to about 40. Heck, maybe I should just chalk that up to normal pressure loss and go about my day. I mean, most tires lose a little pressure over time, right?

/ Front tires not holding air #29  
Well, I got around to checking the other front tire today using the same method. Couldn't find a leak at all, neither on the tread nor on the bead. I couldn't get the valve underwater, but I globbed some spit on it and it didn't blow any bubbles. So I'm at a bit of a loss there. This tire is definitely a slower leak. In the same time the other tire got from 50 psi down to 20 or even less, this tire only goes down to about 40. Heck, maybe I should just chalk that up to normal pressure loss and go about my day. I mean, most tires lose a little pressure over time, right?

Yes they do...the OEM Michelins on my Lesabre are 8 years old and have excellent tread and the sidewalls still look good at 63,000 miles but two of them lose 6-7 psi a month and I cannot find any leakage in either doing the water test. I broke the bead down on both and replaced the valve stem and carefully inspected both beads and the rim (chrome plated) and could find nothing to cause air leakage. Wife's Saturn began losing air from one OEM tire at 45,000 miles started at about 1 psi per day and when it got to 58000 miles it was something like 10 psi per day. Replaced valve stem, inspected rim and tire bead, could not find any leakage. New tire cured the problem and I think as tires age and the rubber hardens that causes increased air leakage.

/ Front tires not holding air #30  
sinking them in the horse trough will usually show them leaks as a bit of foam onthe surface of the tire.. might even be porous rubber..e tc..