Front tires not holding air

/ Front tires not holding air #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
My front tires are not holding air. I have to fill them up every time I go to use the tractor. I have replaced the valve cores, but that didn't do it. I have inspected them carefully and don't see any punctures. What's the next step? It must be the bead, right?

Thanks.

/ Front tires not holding air #2  
Could be the bead, but also could be thorns. Mix dish detergent with water, and using a paintbrush or rag, wet the entire tire and look for bubbles. Do the rim also, in case the welds are cracking.

/ Front tires not holding air #3  
You may not want to, but my zero turn got this way, put slime in them and solved the problem. I will do this on my tractor if it starts that also. LUTT

/ Front tires not holding air #4  
Most likely thorns that arent visible from outside. Slime might fix the problem if is it small thorns . As suggested, mix up a dishwashing soap solution and spray it down all over including the bead seat and rim. I would start with the tire as you are sure to find a bubble or two or three.

/ Front tires not holding air #5  
I agree with the other members in regards to the possibility of thorns. Our son takes his dog for her run twice a day on our trails with his golf cart. During the last year, I have patched the ATV aggressive styled tires on his cart at least 6-8 times. Black locust thorns will break off and you won't even see a small piece of the thorn. BTW, all the tires on his cart are tubed. Best wishes.

/ Front tires not holding air
If I have invisible thorns, can I patch the hole with a plug? Not sure how I can do that if I can't even see the hole.

/ Front tires not holding air #7  
Mix up a 25/75 solution of liquid dish soap and water and spray the suspected area heavily.

/ Front tires not holding air #8  
If I have invisible thorns, can I patch the hole with a plug? Not sure how I can do that if I can't even see the hole.
Have you used the soap? And did you find anything?

And no, you can't plug invisible thorns..........unless you use invisiible leak-seeking plugs. That technology is normally reserved for the military, but my local Walmart had them on aisle 4, near the end, second to the bottom shelf last week. Yours may differ.:)

EDIT: If you can't find leaks with the soap I suggested earlier, you can try the slime, like Gary Fowler suggested.

/ Front tires not holding air #9  
Have you used the soap? And did you find anything?

And no, you can't plug invisible thorns..........unless you use invisiible leak-seeking plugs. That technology is normally reserved for the military, but my local Walmart had them on aisle 4, near the end, second to the bottom shelf last week. Yours may differ.:)

EDIT: If you can't find leaks with the soap I suggested earlier, you can try the slime, like Gary Fowler suggested.

I use a 15 gal. plastic barrow cut in 1/2 and so can lift the front end and slide barrow under the tire . then lower and fill with water to over the rim level and slowly spin the tire. some times the bubbles are small and slow in riseing this will locate inside and outside of tire at same time.

ken

Last edited:
   / Front tires not holding air #10  
I use a 15 gal. plactic barrow cut in 1/2 and so can lift the front end and slide barrow under the tire . then lower and fill with water to over the rim level and slowly spin the tire. some times the bubbles are small and slow in riseing this will locate inside and outside of tire at same time.

ken
Anytime you can get the tire under water, that is the best way to find a leak.